Don't steal your coworker's cupcakes!

Interesting piece by New York Times Life's Work columnist Lisa Belkin, "Fighting Back Against Co-Workers Who Lack Manners," which includes this tidbit:

Goodies disappear from the office suite, too. There were eight Funfetti cupcakes in the conference room when Ms. Hart left work one evening. By morning, two remained. There were four Twixs, four Reese’s peanut butter cups and four Kit Kats, placed as bait under a stack of napkins on a desk over a weekend. On Monday, half were gone.

Ms. Hart and her co-workers have written their names on the boxes, placed polite notes inside and sealed packages with company logo stickers; nothing stops the sneaky snackers.

“We’ve thought of baking cupcakes with Ex-Lax as revenge,” she said, “but we haven’t taken it that far. Yet.”


See also: "Should you bring cupcakes to work?"

Comments

Kylie said…
I once worked at a company where workers' lunches kept disappearing from the lunchroom refrigerator. Workers and management alike tried several things to stop it, but when all else failed, they put a hidden camera in the lunchroom and some "bait" food in the refrigerator. The result was, two people were fired for stealing coworkers' lunches and the thefts stopped.

Some people seem to think that if food is in a "public" area of the workplace, it is up for grabs. But the reality is that taking food that does not belong to you without express permission is stealing!
Anonymous said…
Kyle, thank you for sharing this story. I too have been a victim of food theft. It was an unfortunate moment and one that I will never forget, having a profound effect on my life. One would think any individual victimized by such an act, would hold thier head up high, take the higher road, and start a coalition with others to crack down on these 'sweet tooth junkies'.

Unfortunately for me, this was not the case and I am proud that I can admit this today. If this were a few months ago, I wouldn't be able to say these things.

On that horrid day when my first pizza bagel was stolen, i was angry, lost and without a care in the world. I couldn't differentiate between right and wrong, and inevitably fell in with the wrong crowd. The kind of crowd that ate people's food without asking, then leaving the wrappers behind. I felt free and invigorated, like a caged pony breaking free and roaming the country side. This was me. I was that pony, and the fridge was my unchattered land.

Yesterday, I was at it again. I ate a cupcake, with someone's initials personalized on the frosting. Like a careless theif, i did not think of the consequences, but only the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This morning i paid the most horrible of prices. i learned that some of the dairy used in teh cupcake was old. i became violently ill and suffered explosive diahrrea.

I will never steal again and will look for new ways to become that mataphorial pony roaming the country side.