My first frosting shot

Sweet Revenge

Tonight, totally unexpectedly, I had my first frosting shot. I wasn't even planning on going to a bakery; I was supposed to go to a friends and watch Weeds, but was exhausted, and my friend Desiree said she was near me, at Greenwich Village bakery Sweet Revenge.

So I went over to find that Desiree and her friend had dined on cupcakes as well as a cheese plate and other savory treats. I tried the Seville, a cake with cheese and chorizo (yummy!) and then was mulling over my cupcake options. I'd tried all the cupcakes and couldn't really see myself finishing off one of their pretty large ones. Then my eyes caught two words on the bottom of the menu: frosting shots. For $2, I figured that I'd get my first taste of what everyone is buzzing about lately.

"What flavor would you like?"

"Vanilla," I answered immediately, later wishing I'd asked for the options because...they also have peanut butter frosting!

I sat back down and a few minutes later was presented with a beautiful mini martini glass and small spoon. The frosting looked perfect, almost like pudding, sitting perfectly in the glass. I had been imagining something you, well, chug, like a shot. This was elegant, refined, nothing like what I'd pictured.

Frosting shot, spoon

I tentatively dipped my spoon in. I've licked frosting off a spatula while making it, but am not sure I've ever just spooned frosting into my mouth like that (though I have done it with peanut butter).

Well, the frosting was amazing. Very sweet and rich, a perfect vanilla. Desiree and I each took spoonfuls (and not entire heaping spoonfuls, but very small spoonfuls), savoring it. "There's something really wrong about eating frosting like this," she said, and she was right. It's almost too rich, too decadent, too much. The keyword there being almost, because it was also crazy delicious. And after a big meal, I couldn't have handled a cupcake as well.

The glass kept on beckoning to us, and we'd put our spoons down, then dip back in for more. I estimate we ate about half of it, and I was happily blissed out on sugar.

Frosting shot, Sweet Revenge

So my conclusion is that frosting shots are not for the weak of sweet tooth. It's a totally different experience than eating a cupcake. You're not biting, but spooning. It's like pudding, but the richest pudding you've ever had. The clerk likened it to the episode of Seinfeld with the muffin tops, and I see her point; muffin top lovers may very well be frosting lovers.

I liked the whole experience, and for $2, it's a very pleasant dessert that I'd venture to say lasts longer than a cupcake (well, depending on how fast you eat your cupcakes). That shot could've easily been split by 4 people too. A little goes a loooong way. Conclusion: I'll be back. Save a peanut butter shot for me!

Frosting shot yumminess

Comments

Amanda said…
Oh my goodness... I neeeeed to find a bakery that has frosting shots!!!
Susie said…
I love this idea!!
Unknown said…
SAS Cupcakes, in Newark, DE has AMAZING frosting shots!!
I shall definitely be visiting Sweet Revenge on my birthday cupcake tour of NY next March! Thanks CTTC for helping me plan my holidays!!

BTW I borrowed a couple of pics for my blog, please get in touch if you want me to remove them!
Anne
http://i-heart-cupcakes.blogspot.com/