An ice cream cone cupcake roundup

With summer winding down (I always think of June, July and August as "summer" and September as "fall" even though technically that's not quite accurate), I thought it might be a good time to do a roundup of ice cream cone cupcake photos. Would you believe I still haven't ever had one? I better get over to the Treats Truck pronto!

I guess the real question is, which do you prefer on a hot summer day? An ice cream cone or an ice cream cone cupcake? Or, let's be gluttonous for a moment - both?

from Flickr user colchu



from Flickr user Ken W!



from Flickr user megpi



from Cakespy on Flickr



from Flickr user dawniecakes



And from Treats Truck explorers and food bloggers Blondie and Brownie:



and the inside:



And doesn't the mint chocolate one look good?





And some people, like Flickr user cupcaketastic, get really fancy with them - some of these have Nutella marbled through the buttercream!



And I couldn't resist this super-fun photo, also from Flickr user cupcaketastic



See more ice cream cone cupcakes in the Cupcakes Take the Cake Flickr pool

And a recipe from Chockylit:


Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcake ice cream cones / 350 degree oven

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs

1. measure out everything but the eggs directly into your mixer bowl
2. mix on low speed just until incorporated
3. beat on high speed for 2 minutes
4. add eggs, beat on high speed again for 2 minutes
5. transfer batter into a container with a pour spout (like a pyrex measuring cup)
6. pour batter into ice cream cones, leave a good half inch between the batter and the top of the cone
7. bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean

Vanilla and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

2 sticks butter
7 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Valrhona)

1. beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl
2. add 5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat until combined
3. add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want (not too stiff so that its hard to pipe)
4. take out half of the buttercream and reserve, this is your vanilla
5. add the cocoa powder to the remaining half and beat to combine, you might need to add a little milk if its too stiff, this is your chocolate buttercream

Assembly

1. pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes with a large star tip
2. top with sprinkles

Comments

Wow! Those look absolutely delicious! But since I'm all about desserts with a little surprise on the inside, :) I wonder how an ice cream cone with ice cream and a cupcake would be? Yum!
Anonymous said…
I was just wondering how do I bake the cupcakes if they're in an ice cream cone raw? What kind of a pan does one use? I want to make them!
Anonymous said…
I remember seeing a post awhile back with the link onto where i could purchase the cone pan but cant find it.

could you tell me where to get it or what post it be under?

thanks,
charna
Anonymous said…
Becca it's easy, the baking time is short enough that it doesn't affect the cone - just pop them in the oven on a cookie sheet - carefully so they don't get bumped and fall over.
For another variation - I did hi-hat cone cakes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/devrah/2433099768/in/set-72057594093849958/
Anonymous said…
hmmmm..conecakes..
i loove conecakes..tastes as good as cupcakes..
btw, shud check my birthday cupcakes in my blog, it was ZOMG's cute..
Shannon said…
This has inspired me to make these this weekend. I'm craving cone cupcakes now, and I've never even tried them. They look so tasty!
Anonymous said…
The easiest way to bake the ice cream cone cupcakes is to line muffin pan with cup cake liners, fill 2/3 full with cake mix then turn cones upside down onto cupcake mixture. Bake as recommended and cool. Once cooled take out of pan and peel off cup cake liners.