Kara's Cupcakes now open in Palo Alto, California

JasmineG on Chowhound has this report from the new Kara's Cupcakes in Palo Alto. (All photos by Rachel Kramer Bussel from their San Francisco, Scott Street, location, via Flickr set.)

Kara's Cupcakes sign

Now onto the cupcakes: I got one mini Meyer Lemon filled, one mini Raspberry Chocolate (raspberry frosting with a chocolate cupcake), one Fleur de Sel (Chocolate cupcake, caramel filling, chocolate ganache frosting), and one Vanilla Chocolate. (No, I did not eat all of these in one sitting).

Cupcakes are $3.25, and mini cupcakes are $2. All of the cakes themselves were very good -- moist, lots of flavor, good texture to the top. My favorite was definitely the Fleur de Sel -- I love that combination anyway, but it didn't let me down; the chocolate cupcake and ganache were good, the caramel was delicious, and there was just enough salt. This would be great in a mini cupcake, the filled cupcake was a little hard to eat in the large size, but still excellent. I liked the Vanilla Chocolate fine, and this is generally my favorite combination, but there was a little too much ganache on top -- there was less balance between the vanilla cupcake and the chocolate icing, and it was hard to eat them together and get a bite of both flavors, I had to pick off some of the chocolate. The mini Meyer Lemon was good, the lemon flavor was pronounced and it was a nice one (okay, maybe three) bite treat, but I didn't really like the frosting on this one, it was a little too thin and whipped cream like of a butter cream for me, but the lemon filling was excellent. I had a similar issue with the mini Raspberry Chocolate -- the chocolate cupcake was great, but the raspberry frosting was a little light, and the raspberry flavor wasn't as pronounced as I would have liked.


Kara's Cupcakes

Kara's Cupcakes
855 El Camino Real, Suite 50
Palo Alto, California 94301
P 650 326-CAKE (2253)
now hiring: info@karascupcakes.com
grand opening hours
mon-sat 10am-6pm
sun 11am-5pm

Comments

Rachel said…
Seems like Kara's is quickly becoming the bay area juggernaut. Oh well, more cupcakes at That Takes the Cake for me.