When cupcakes are prettier than they taste

Me, Nichelle, cupcakes, ferry
Nichelle and I about to indulge

P9010024.JPG

P9010025.JPG
So promising looking...

Isn't it sad when cupcakes look delicious and are just so-so once you get them in your mouth? Sadly, that was the case as we took the ferry back from Martha's Vineyard, with these 2 cupcakes from the famed Black Dog Bakery. They weren't horrible (we did eat most of them), but they were nothing all that special. The red velvet was the better of the two; decent cake, good frosting. The chocolate one was pretty average.

I still love them for their food and other baked goods, but definitely think the Vineyard would be a good home for an all-cupcake bakery! See the rest of the Flickr set

P9010028.JPG

Has this every happened to you? Tell us!

P9010027.JPG
Twanna has fun with the cupcakes

Comments

Katie said…
Bummer! I'm glad you had fun though. All of the cupcakes on your blog make me so eager to make some of my own.
LenaLoo said…
That happened the other day to me! I picked up a Red Velvet Rescue (a first for me) and a Vanilla Bliss for my friend from Cupcake Craving in Sacramento... They were sadly dry and the frosting was not great... They were simply decorated, which would have been fine had they tasted better :(
Anonymous said…
Yes! This happened to us about 6 months ago. We were in Santa Barbara, CA and stopped by Crushcakes Cupcakery (cute store) The first thing we noticed was the cupcakes were very small, but cute and yummy looking. So we picked out a variety to try (6 total) We were so disappointed! The frosting was just ok and a little skimpy too. The cake was so dry,they must have been 2 or 3 days old (I'm not kidding) It's sad because it was a cute store...and the girls working there were nice too :o(
Anonymous said…
I feel the exact same way about Sprinkles! They're cute, but not $3 good!
Anonymous said…
Were they really just so-so or is that more a reflection of an unrealistic expectation? Maybe your tastebuds are burned out a bit on cupcakes.

When people express disappointment in cupcakes it makes me think that they might have something far more important missing in their life.
Samantha Jean said…
The Cupcakery in Las Vegas! The frosting looks nice and they are appealing to the eye but every time that I have had one they have been dry dry dry and the frosting was so so. Everyone else seems to love them but is it because they haven't actually had a decent cupcake to compare it to?