The Petite Cafe's stuffed cupcakes in The New York Times

Stuffed cupcakes from The Petite Cafe, Nutley, NJ

A few weeks ago I was visiting my dad in New Jersey and got him to take me to The Petite Cafe in Nutley. Their stuffed cupcakes are their specialty (their URL is www.stuffedcupcakes.com in case you had any doubt) and indeed, all they offer in terms of cupcakes. They are mighty cupcakes, very large (great for sharing) and some extremely rich (one has cannoli filling). Delicious, but all very sweet (as far as I recall, there was not the peanut butter/marshmallow combo when I went, or I'd have pounced on it) so I would really recommend going with someone to share them with or taking them home to share. All photos in this post by me (Rachel Kramer Bussel); see my Flickr set for more.

Stuffed cupcakes from The Petite Cafe, Nutley, NJ

Well, now The New York Times has taken notice, in this writeup by Tammy La Gorce:

The Jarets reopened the Petite Cafe on Oct. 1 as a baked-goods-only operation. It includes breakfast scones and muffins, but the stars of the pastry case in the nondescript shop are a dozen types of cupcakes ($3 for regular size and $4 for double-stuffed). Swirled with a thick pompadour of frosting, they are lined up awaiting explanation of their contents (no labels).

The red velvet cupcake filled with vanilla mousse and topped with cream cheese icing is “hands-down the favorite,” Ms. Jaret said. On a recent Saturday, others included a peanut butter cupcake filled with marshmallow mousse and topped with chocolate icing, and a vanilla cupcake filled with vanilla mousse and topped with vanilla icing and a dollop of chocolate.


The Petite Cafe
231 Franklin Avenue
Nutley, New Jersey
973-667-7778

Stuffed cupcakes from The Petite Cafe, Nutley, NJ

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow delicious cake!! i will give it to my love one. thumb up!!