Seduced by a display case

I'm sure this has happened to you. You see a cupcake in a display case
and even though you're not really hungry, or, um, just ate one at
another bakery, you get one anyway.

That's what happened to me at Sugar Cafe on the Lower East Side
tonight - www.sugarcafenyc.com

I know that cream cheese frosting is not my favorite, but ordered one
of these anyway. I waited about an hour, drinking my green tea and
playing on my computer, and then it was still sitting there on its
plate, beckoning to me. So I took a bite. Then another. It wasn't bad
per se; the frosting was a bit too sweet for my taste but the cake was
decent.

I think the biggest problem with it is that it just didn't live up to
its looks. Sometimes cupcakes' looks can indeed be deceiving, which is
ironic because I think more than anything it's cupcakes' visual
strikingness that has driven their massive popularity (there are of
course many other factors, but that one imo reigns supreme).

What do you think?

Comments

Stacie Joy said…
Rachel -- I agree with you. I've eaten at that place before, and have been disappointed by the cupcakes. The *look* lovely but they taste, well, not so lovely.

All of their sweets and treats are displayed so prettily, it's hard to resist!
Peg A said…
I feel the same about Magnolia cupcakes, to be honest...though I think some of their other baked good, like the coconut cake, are wonderful!

I wish cupcakes were as much about taste as looks. I make them for a local cafe and they're fairly simple to look at; their appeal is in their homemade taste. Still I find myself changing their look for the holidays. For Halloween and Thanksgiving--I've gone from candy corn and mini-pumpkins and orange edible glitter to harvest colors in frosting--which led me to a delicious new frosting flavor, caramel!
For the winter holiday season? The chocolate cupcakes will have green-tinted peppermint frosting, and white frosting with red and green candy decor accents...and maybe I'll do crushed candy canes on top of pink or white frosting. I don't want to get gaudy: deep green and red coloring also taste funny if used excessively. But visuals do attract the eye.