Victoria at National Geographic blog Breaking Orbit is holding a solar system cupcake contest, and you can win the book Planetology. Here are the rules:
I [heart] cupcakes, and I think planets are pretty sweet, so I'd like to combine my two passions into a recipe contest.
Send me your best recipe for a cupcake inspired by a planet. I'll post the top three entries, and the grand prize winner will get a free copy of Planetology. Here are the rules:
1. The recipe should make at least a dozen cupcakes and should be simple enough that most people could make it at home.
2. Choose from only the eight official planets for your inspiration. That's Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, for those of you keeping score. [sorry, Pluto]
3. This is not a frosting-only contest. The entire recipe should reflect something scientific about your planet, from the ingredients you chose to the overall presentation.
4. An individual can submit up to three entries.
5. All entries should include the ingredients list, baking instructions, a photo of your creation, a brief description (200 words max) of the science behind your cupcake, and a valid email address.
Recipes will be judged on creativity, scientific accuracy, and ease of baking.
To get you in the mood, here are some solar system cupcakes by Cakes by Shara via Flickr.