___ are "the new cupcakes"

Every few weeks it seems some dessert item is being declared "the new cupcake."

Last year, it was Oscar cookies and muffins.

In July, it was churros.

This week, it's donuts, and French macaroons.

Can we just enjoy our cupcakes in peace? I get the need for trend pieces, especially about food, but cupcakes are, I believe, here to stay, judging by the number of bakeries opening, cupcake blogs forming, cupcake events like CupcakeCamp and, well, the general popularity of them.

What do you think?

Comments

noisy penguin said…
I had to click on the link to figure out what an Oscar cookie was, so obviously that prediction was off. =) Trends will come and go, but nothing will ever really be "the new black," and I doubt anything will ever really be "the new cupcake." I think cupcakes are here to stay and I couldn't be happier about it.