Cupcake bakery seeks working partner in Naples, Florida

While this is not a job listings site, we do on occasion list cupcake jobs we read about.

We've allowed Joanne Glasgow of Naples Florida, bakery Simply Cupcakes of Naples to share the following with you - if you contact her, please tell her you read her post on Cupcakes Take the Cake! The following are entirely her words:

Simply Cupcakes of Naples Seeks a Working Partner

After years as a pediatric nurse and working for a dessert caterer in upstate New York, my husband and I moved to Naples, Florida four years ago. Since cupcakes had become so popular I experimented with cupcake recipes that were mostly spin offs of the ones we had previously used for wedding cakes.

I decided to start a cupcake business three years ago and was invited to participate in the Third Street Farmer’s market here in Naples which runs from November through May. The cupcakes were a hit right away and each week I would sell 30 dozen assorted selections in the 4 hours that the market was open. Each week, customers would come back looking for their “cupcake fix” as one customer put it. I also started getting additional orders for parties and gallery openings.

When the market ended for the season, I needed a commercial kitchen to bake in and was fortunate enough to find Bayshore Coffee Company, a emerging coffee house here in Naples that was just starting to catch on. It is run by a mother and daughter and made arrangements to share their kitchen in exchange for cupcakes that they would sell. They helped promote my cupcakes and I helped promote their coffee shop.

My husband Ken and I built a web site ( www.simplycupcakes.net) and took pictures of my cupcakes. The idea was to start an online cupcake where customers could see the selections and order online. I would deliver in the Naples area. I would only sell a dozen or more but if people wanted to try Simply Cupcakes, they could buy them at Bayshore Coffee Company.

At this time, we were contacted by a Public Relations Agent who had tried our cupcakes at the market and who offered to represent us. Since I was just starting out, I couldn’t afford a press Agent so we arranged to pay her with cupcakes. She did a fantastic job and got me free articles in most of the Naples Magazines and newspapers and a TV spot on WINK News. My phone started ringing and hasn’t stopped. Naples has many part time residents who are celebrities and many of them have enjoyed Simply Cupcakes. My mini cupcake platters have been very popular and this year we will be promoting them paired with dessert wines. Although Naples is a seasonal area, I have commercial accounts who order from me year around giving cupcakes as a “thank you” gift. . I already have product acceptance and customer base and I have done it without spending anything on advertising. The cupcake business is unique in that every dozen sold is a dozen people trying my cupcakes. My cupcakes advertise themselves.

My problem is that the business has grown to the point where I can only produce a certain amount of cupcakes in a small kitchen and I find myself having to turn away orders. So I found a larger location and have made plans to open my own location. I have negotiated very attractive terms for the store and have the contractor ready to start work. However, I can’t increase my volume by baking alone and hiring people has it’s own problems. So I am looking for a working partner who will share my vision, passion for baking and also share my success. The ideal candidate will have some baking experience but not necessarily formal training. I am willing to train and it is easier to train than to “untrain”. I am requiring a $25,000 investment which will go toward additional equipment and renovations and my partner will get 40% of the business. Anyone interested should call my husband Ken at 800-549-9570 or email cupcakes@cclg.com.

Also if anyone is interested in starting their own online cupcakery in their own town, we can send them information about how to do it..

Joanne Glasgow
Simply Cupcakes of Naples
www.simplycupcakes.net

Comments

Unknown said…
I think a cupcakery would be fun! I'd love some information. You can e-mail me at annakegley500@hotmail.com
marigirl said…
I LOVE cupcakes!!! When I lived in Jacksonville, FL last year my friends and I would go 'cupcaking' and post reviews of all the cupcakes on my blog. :) Such fun times! I hear there's a Sprinkles opening soon here in Tokyo and I'm psyched. :) Keep up the adorable, delicious work
God bless you, my delicious-cupcake friends, and may the Creator of the Cosmos bestow upon you discernment and wisdom this CHRIST-mass season.
Anonymous said…
I have been wanting to open a cupcake store for awhile, I would LOVE to hear any advice you have on how to get started. Thanks! aftonp2000@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
There's a new game in town...
Lola's CupCakery on Las Olas Blvd.

My husband and I went by there the other night after a movie - they're open until midnight - and had the most amazing cupcakes ever!


http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/2009/01/lolas_cupcakery_opens_on_las_o.php