Cupcake interview: Kate's Frosting in San Antonio, Texas


Name: Kate-Frost Feild
Age: 25 ( I was 23 when we opened)
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Occupation: Owner/Baker
URL: www.katesfrosting.net


You have a very unusual name. Care to tell us how that came to be?
When I was born my parents hadn't picked out a name for me yet. The hospital wouldn't let my mom, Mary-Kate leave without naming me. My grandfather said we should just call her Kate Frost, which is my grandmother's first and maiden name. My mom's name is hyphenated too, so they decided to hyphenate mine. The Frost part must have been meant to be because now I'm in the bakery business!

How is it running two cupcake bakeries? Do you have plans to expand?
It is really fun to have two stores because they are completely different. Both stores are in family-oriented neighborhoods with lots of schools, so it's fun to have regular customers at each. We don't have any immediate plans to expand, but it is definitely something I could see doing in the future. I never say never!


How often do you eat cupcakes?
I eat at least one mini cupcake a day, sometimes more. When we experiment with new flavors, I eat even more!


What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?
The best thing about eating cupcakes is that there are so many varieties. Cupcakes can be made in any flavor and because they are portion-controlled you can have lots and never get bored with the same flavor.


What's your favorite type of cupcake?
I love any cupcake that has a filling. My favorite cupcake right now is our peanut butter and jelly cupcake that has strawberry jam inside.

How did you come to name your cupcakes? I'm quite taken with the Jessica Rabbit and Ruby Slipper!
Before we first opened we hired two culinary students, Ruby and Jessica, to help us develop recipes. We thought it would be fun to name their signature cupcakes after them.

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?
To me cupcakes are the ultimate baked good. They are portioned-controlled, easy to transport, fun to decorate, and they bring people back to their childhood. The flavor options are also endless and I have yet to see someone eat a cupcake with a frown on their face.

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?
Well, we do lots of weddings and big parties, so I would love to see someone create some interesting cupcake display pieces instead of just your standard cupcake tier. As far as the actual cupcake goes, I don't think there is much more room for improvement. They are pretty near perfect!


We're always happy to see bakeries cater to those who normally wouldn't be able to eat sweets. How did you come to make a sugar-free cupcake?
San Antonio, Texas, has a large population of diabetic people who love sweets. I hated to turn people who wanted sugar-free options away when we first opened, so we decided to come up with some recipes to add to our menu.


Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?
I have a great team of bakers who come in every morning, but there are lots of days when I am baking too. I enjoy being hands-on so I feel like I'm missing out if I'm not in the kitchen when the baking is going on.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?
Well when I was little I was pretty cupcake-deprived because nobody in my family baked. I think that is why I am so obsessed with them now!

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?
The first week we were open we took an order for 600 mini cupcakes. The man who ordered them was giving them to the tenants of a building he owned to appease them during a mandatory fire drill. He set up a table outside so that when they went back inside they got to have a cupcake!

Do you have anything else to add?
One of my favorite parts of my job is when we have in-store cupcake-decorating parties. It is a thrill to see what kinds of designs the kids and adults come up with and to watch them having fun while doing it.


Thanks so much, Kate-Frost, CTTC wishes you the best of luck with your bakeries. And, next time I'm in San Antonio, expect me to come devour some of those minis!

Comments

Jillian said…
well im only an hour away in Austin..I'll be making a visit to Kate's Frosting!!!
Frith said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Burkes said…
I love Kate's Frosting! I might be her biggest fan. We had a Halloween party once where she made blood red velvet cup cakes. She has come a long way since!

Keep up the hard work Kate!
Anonymous said…
I've been to Kate's Frosting a handful of times but their cupcakes are second to none and this come from someone with a sweet tooth! From my very first bite, I've been addicted and know where to go to get the best cupcakes in town. Service has always been great and quality is NEVER waivering. Go right now, you won't regret it.