Filled cupcakes "making of" set

Most people love when I bake filled cupcakes. For my birthday last year I baked (almost 100!) lemon cupcakes filled with brandied apricots and strawberries. For Rachel's birthday party this year I baked vanilla cupcakes with sour-cherry filling. I think filled cupcakes are extraspecial because you love the cupcake and frotsing and then boom! there's the bonus of some yummy filling, keeping the cake moist and flavorful. And, it's fun!

Anyway, there are a few different ways to fill cupcakes. I used the injector method. I've not yet tried the following method (it appears to be time-consuming yet beautiful -- as well as allowing for more yummy filling) but I love the way the photographer (windy_sydney) and baker takes us through the baking of the Cherry Surprise Cupcakes, step-by-step:

Step one (postbaking):
Cherry Surprise Cupcakes Step One
Let cool completely.

Step two:
Cherry Surprise Cupcakes Step Two
Cut cone shaped hole into center of cupcake. Set the top aside.

Step three:
Cherry Surprise Cupcakes Step Three
Fill with filling of choice (here, cherry pie filling is used).

Step four:
Cherry Surprise Cupcakes Step Four
Cut excess cake from top and replace as cupcake "lid."

Step five:
Cherry Surprise Cupcakes Step Five
Frost and decorate!

Step six:
Yum
Demolish!



Next time I do filled cupcakes (the urge to bake is coming on strong) I might try this method. I wonder if spooning in the filling is easier than using my injector? I'll keep y'all posted, I promise!

Nice work, windy sydney! You can see more of her cupcake and baking work here, and some adorable cat shots here , here and here. (Her cat Buddha Belly looks a lot like my cat, Grady.)





Comments

Andee said…
Holy Cow!

What a surprise and honor! I have been a fan of "Cupcakes take the cake" for a very long time!

Thank you for everything!!

Andee
Unknown said…
I prefer the cone method (the one above) to the injector method, although I've never used a real "injector", per say, just a tiny tip with a pastry bag. The only thing with the cone method is you need to use a thick frosting to cover up the top.
Jaimie said…
that does look delicious! i can't wait to try that!
Jaelyn said…
I think the easiest way to fill a cupcake is to punch a hole in the middle (I use my fondant roller). I saw this done at a cupcakery in Vegas and it is super easy! Just punch and fill :)
Stacie Joy said…
Hi Andee! You're welcome, and thanks for posting (and using creative commons-licensing on) your awesome images.