How to take a perfect cupcake photo

Actually, I don't really know the answer to that, though this year I plan to get a digital SLR and try to find out how to do it myself, or at least, better ones than the ones I normally take.

What I like about it is:

  • the size - it looks huge, but not too huge
  • the light - it's bold and bright
  • the harmony - each element of the cupcake, the frosting, sprinkles, and bit of cake you can see, each gets their due
  • it makes me want to bite right into it

    Sugar Sweet sunshine cupcake by Cheap Ass Foods

    But as someone who looks at cupcake photos every day, I have to say that when one like this comes along, I'm just in awe, and this is from one of my favorite bakeries, sugar Sweet sunshine in New York. The photo is by Cheap Ass Foods (via Felicia Sullivan).

    What do you think makes a perfect cupcake photo?
  • Comments

    apparentlyjessy said…
    I think natural light is very important, it seems to make the cupcakes true colours come out in the photo.

    That being said the mocha cupcake photo of mine that was on here a few days ago was taken at night with a flash! So I guess it depends on the cupcake!

    If you aren't happy with how the cupcake photo looks, wait till morning, and take the cupcake outside for some sunshine and it should be more photogenic :)