Spotlight on bakery New York Cupcakes (in Bellevue, WA)

What's in a bakery name (and location)? This one gives us some food for thought...

New York Cupcakes

Yes, every time I see the bakery name "New York Cupcakes," as a New Yorker, I think it odd that it's located in Bellingham Bellevue, Washington (sorry about that mistake - as I said, I'm a New Yorker, my apologies!). This is how they explain it:

Lisa said that customers often ask about the name, “New York Cupcakes.” Is it part of a chain? No, this is her one-and-only store. The name pays homage to the birthplace of the cupcake’s reinvention, made famous when Sarah Jessica Parker ate a cupcake from New York’s Magnolia Bakery on “Sex and the City.”

I do love that their flavors have Big Apple theme names, like "Grand Central Smores" and "Radio City Raspberry." Perfect for former New Yorkers who live there!

These photos are all from their Flickr account (they wrote and told us it's their official Flickr account, but note to bakeries: we highly recommend personalizing your Flickr account as much as possible so people can find you easily!).

A display of dizzying choices at NYCC


Tiffany box cupcakes for a baby shower - adorable and creative!

Signature New York Black and White


Ba Da Bing Cherry cupcakes - "White Cupcakes and Red Velvet with Buttercream Frosting with a cherry on top!"


Grand Central Smores - Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow buttercream icing, graham crackers and a Hershey bar topping.

New York Cupcakes
15600 N.E.8th Ste. A-4
Bellevue, WA 98008
425-283-5445

Comments

noisy penguin said…
I think this store is in Bellevue, not Bellingham - Bellingham is about 2 hours north of Seattle, while Bellevue is just across Lake Washington from Seattle.
Anonymous said…
Where ever it is, they sure do make some tasty looking cupcakes!!! Love the smores theme...
LunaMoonbeam said…
As a girl who grew up in Bellevue, WA, I was always curious how a New Yorker would respond to the name of our little town. ;-) (I believe there's a famous hospital in NYC with a very similar name?)

That being said, I haven't been to NY Cupcakes in years because, sadly, the cupcake was nasty. There were only about two dozen cupcakes in the case, and the lemon filled one that I bought was dry and crumbly with a tasteless industrial buttercream on top. :-( I was so disappointed, I vowed to never buy another cupcake again...and I haven't, come to think of it.

Then again, that was a LONG TIME AGO, and their cases look full and fresh now! Maybe I'll have to give them another chance next time I go home...
Anonymous said…
New York Cupcakes has ***the*** best icing. ever. I generally hate strawberry but it's my favorite with them. It's so smooth and light. None of that heavy, gritty icing :)
Anonymous said…
This store is definitely the best cupcake place around BECAUSE of their frosting!! MMMM...