Traveling with cupcakes: a filled cupcake from The Little Pie Company

Little Pie Company cupcakes at Grand Central Station

Something strange is going on with my Flickr auto-blog email address, so it seems that often lately when I try to send a photo directly to this blog, it doesn't get there. Maybe I'm sending it to the wrong address (fyi Flickr users, you can designate a blog to simultaneously blog your photo and add it to Flickr) by mistake, but anyway...here's my take on a cupcake I had from The Little Pie Company's outpost at Grand Central Station.

Little Pie Company cupcakes at Grand Central Station

I remember the last time I had tried to get one from them it was Christmas Eve and sadly, they were only selling pies and other desserts, not cupcakes. Today I had to take Metro North and saw several kinds of cupcakes on display, those above and red velvet (below). I was told that red velvet and chocolate/chocolate are the bestsellers.

Little Pie Company cupcakes at Grand Central Station

I decided on the chocolate/chocolate cupcake ($3), and took it on the train with me:

Little Pie Company chocolate chocolate cupcake

The frosting was very, very thick, the kind of chocolate frosting that I almost hesitate to call "frosting." It was fudgey and rich and there was no way I was going to eat it all. This is definitely a cupcake better shared by 2 or even 3 people. But it was cold and very sweet and delicious; some people hate cold cupcakes, but I'm not one of them. Ice-cold no, but just chilled, I'm good with that.

I kept eating and go to...the vanilla frosting inside!

Inside Little Pie Company chocolate cupcake

That was actually fluffy and light and very delicious. I wound up eating most of that out of the middle and abandoning the cupcake about halfway through, having sated my sweet tooth. So if you are every at Grand Central and hankering for a cupcake, I can recommend this one. They also had other cute-looking treats, including Oscar cookies (two Oscar-shaped cookies with filling between them).

I have to say, traveling is much more fun with cupcakes. I cannot wait to see the day when cupcakes are available at airports. For now, I'll take them at train stations.

Comments