Battlestar Galactica cupcakes

Blogger The Other Tiger of Pie of the Tiger made these gorgeous Battlestar Galactica cupcakes. Full disclosure: I personally barely even know what Battlestar Galactica is, but that hasn't stopped me from appreciating these cupcakes. All photos via the other tiger on Flickr (go there to see more).

Battlestar Galactica-Inspired Cupcakes

From Pie of the Tiger:

The vanilla cupcake recipe I used came from The Whimsical Bakehouse, a fun cake decorating book that I’ve looked at many times but never cooked from. I liked the recipe, especially since it has an easy mixing method that’s different from what I’ve come across in the past. My one complaint is it calls for far too little vanilla. I suspected that was the case, but I’ve had so many problems baking cupcakes lately that I wanted to follow the recipe exactly to be sure they’d turn out. And they did, so I’m happy–very happy!–but next time I’ll at least double up on the vanilla.

The frosting was the one thing I couldn’t decide on until I started making it. It’s lemon meringue flavored. I just made my Swiss meringue recipe and added both orange and lemon extracts to compensate for the mild flavor of the cupcakes. (I learned that orange extract ups the flavor of lemon extract from the Martha Stewart recipe that eventually became the basis for my wedding cake.) I convinced myself that the frosting fit the theme because the mandala foreshadowed a big explosion, and the meringue got torched. A tenuous connection, but enough to go on.


Battlestar Galactica-Inspired Cupcakes

Comments

KyleeJ said…
yummy and clever!
Cora Zane said…
BSG cupcakes = a thing of beauty. :*)
Amanda said…
I love it! When it all comes out on blu-ray, I might have to use these as an inspiration for a during a watch party :-)