Last night after watching some films, Rachel and I had a hankering for (what else?) cupcakes. We stopped at Sweet, which is very conveniently located by the F subway stop at First Avenue in NYC, and always has displays filled with what looks like awesome and scrumptious sweet treats and I am always seduced by them. And, am I usually disappointed, and last night's experience wasn't much different.
It's a good thing the company was so good, and we were so hungry!

The S'mores cupcake Rachel selected:

It looks very nice. Let's slice 'er open and she what she's made out of:

and

I'm hoping Rachel will chime in on her thoughts, as they are probably different than mine. I thought the cake part was a bit overcooked, dry, and crumbly. The frosting was buttercream (with the crusty confectioner's sugar taste they sometimes get), either in vanilla or, perhaps, marshmallow flavor? Not sure. The graham cracker pieces were a nice touch, as was the minimarshmallows that went uneaten (by me at least). I think there were, perhaps 5 minichocolate chips on there too. There was definitely not enough chocolate to help create the standard profile (marshmallow gooeyness, warm melt-y chocolate and graham crackers). I've had this combo in other cupcakes to much better effect.
But, the place is open very late, it has free wifi, is advantageously placed, and brightly lit...and I fall for eating there once every other month or so, once the taste of the last thing I ate there has long left my memory. Oh, and we had some cherry pie (not pictured) that wasn't bad.
Rachel? If you read this, please weigh in on your thoughts!
It's a good thing the company was so good, and we were so hungry!

The S'mores cupcake Rachel selected:

It looks very nice. Let's slice 'er open and she what she's made out of:

and

I'm hoping Rachel will chime in on her thoughts, as they are probably different than mine. I thought the cake part was a bit overcooked, dry, and crumbly. The frosting was buttercream (with the crusty confectioner's sugar taste they sometimes get), either in vanilla or, perhaps, marshmallow flavor? Not sure. The graham cracker pieces were a nice touch, as was the minimarshmallows that went uneaten (by me at least). I think there were, perhaps 5 minichocolate chips on there too. There was definitely not enough chocolate to help create the standard profile (marshmallow gooeyness, warm melt-y chocolate and graham crackers). I've had this combo in other cupcakes to much better effect.
But, the place is open very late, it has free wifi, is advantageously placed, and brightly lit...and I fall for eating there once every other month or so, once the taste of the last thing I ate there has long left my memory. Oh, and we had some cherry pie (not pictured) that wasn't bad.
Rachel? If you read this, please weigh in on your thoughts!
Comments
:)
Problem solved!
:]