Stanley Cupcakes at 2010 Olympics?

Stanley Cupcakes team
photo by Handout, The Province

This isn't technically about cupcakes, but it's pretty cool that a hockey team has cupcakes in its name, at least, to me.

from The Province:

The Stanley Cupcakes want to go to the 2010 Olympics.

And while they know they're not good enough to face off against the world's best, 20 members of a North Shore women's hockey team have applied to appear at the opening ceremonies.

"We represent two important sides of Canadian society -- hockey moms and hockey players," said 47-year-old Karen Speirs, a left-winger and founding member of the team. "I'm a volunteer with the Olympics and when they were talking about the opening ceremonies, I thought our team represented some of the Olympic ideals -- primarily the love of sport."

Speirs said the Cupcakes hope to be able to skate during the ceremonies at B.C. Place Stadium on Feb. 12.

They're among 3,200 people who have so far applied to volunteer as performers at the opening and closing ceremonies.

Comments

ThePeachMartini said…
This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've read in a long time. I have to say I'm rather jealous - I love hockey and I love cupcakes (though I have a feeling I'm better with a cupcake than a puck!)

Best of luck to the Cupcakes in their quest for 2010!!
Mary charleson said…
Well, these girls did get in. 10 of them in fact. Read the Olympic update from the Vancouver Sun on Feb 4, 2010
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/Stanley+Cupcakes+score+Olympic+moment/2516301/story.html