Sugar free Jell-o cupcakes - yay or nay?



These are from the blog Cheat Day Cafe, who used this diet soda cupcake recipe but substituted sugar free Jell-o! She writes:

For the frosting, I took about 3/4 c. of dark chocolate frosting from a can and put it in a small glass bowl. I then microwaved it for about 15 seconds. I stirred it and dipped the tops in and let the excess drip off. That little bit of frosting covered about 40 mini cupcakes. Not bad! And it looks so pretty. The frosting does kind of drip down the sides, so keeping the frosting thin by microwaving it every couple minutes should help it from getting too heavy. You could also try putting them in the fridge to set up faster."

I've personally never had "diet" cupcakes, but I'd be willing to try them. What do you think? Are diet cupcakes worth trying, or should we just go full speed (and fat) ahead when it comes to cupcakes?

Comments

curiouser said…
I think diet cupcakes are worth a shot, especially if you're a cupcake-aholic. Cutting a few caloric corners here and there is a good thing! (as long as you don't misrepresent them as being normal cupcakes...that's a cupcake sin!)
Nicole said…
Ehh--I don't know. I like making stuff from scratch and using naturally occurring ingredients. Unless there's stevia in these, I prefer the real thing.

Of course, that does make me have to spend more time on the treadmill. :)
Amanda said…
I'd try a diet cupcake that looked that good, for sure!
Froggy said…
I actually do this but i just use the cake mix and diet coke...mix with the mixer and bake..it really is good! My boys love it! They eat them without icing too! You can even do different ones like a white or yellow cake with 7up or even cherry 7 up...a milk chocolate with cherry coke, the ideas are endless!!
Amber said…
I use the diet soda/cake mix method all the time because I'm a lazy baker. They actually turn out really light and fluffy, and no one ever believes how I made them!