100 cupcake baking experiment of 2009

Remember when I posted that I needed a cupcake carrier? Many thanks to Rachel and Blondie (of Blondie and Brownie) for the carriers. Can you believe I may still need another one? Who carries 100 cupcakes around Manhattan? (Me.)

I met up with Blondie today for the cupcake carrier hand-off. (We also stopped for some spicy chocolate truffles at Roni-Sue's -- the Diablo is amazing -- and some mac-n-cheese pancakes at Shopsin's.) I'm grateful for the cupcake carrier's arrival (and its fairy godmother, Blondie) as well as its 36-cupcake capacity. I'll let you know how it stacks up to the Wilton 12-cupcake carrier Rachel lent me.

I'm baking these 100 cupcakes for this weekend and it's a daunting challenge, one I'm not sure I'm up for (I've been under the weather recently). Flavors are:
  • Spicy Mexican chocolate cake with cinnamon buttercream icing and red hots.
  • Carrot cake with walnuts and pineapple, frosted with cream cheese frosting.
  • White wedding cake with lime curd filling and lemon cream cheese frosting.
  • Lemon cupcakes with strawberry filling and lemon cream cheese frosting.
  • Yellow cake with chocolate ganache frosting.

That's it. Ambitious, no? It is if you could see my teeny-tiny kitchen! I've incorporated many of your suggestions from my recent baking attempts and will keep y'all posted as I undertake the 100 cupcake baking experiment of 2009.


Oh, and I am actively scouting for new vanilla extract. I like it pure -- no additives, please. I am currently using Frontier organic fair-trade, but am not thrilled with the end results (it's better in stuff like French toast). Any suggestions, folks?




Comments

Cherie said…
I'm currently using Penzey's Single Strength and LOVE it! http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysvanilla.html?id=gErSMMsF
Anonymous said…
Unfortunately, you would need a few months for making your own vanilla extract. A bottle of vodka and a few vanilla beans... pure vanilla extract.
Anonymous said…
Unfortunately, you would need a few months to make your own vanilla extract. A bottle of vodka and a few vanilla beans it's all you need.
Sarah said…
I also use Nielsen Massey Vanilla. I find it at Williams Sonoma, World Market, or other gourmet food retailers. It makes a WORLD of difference!
Kristen said…
Blue Cattle Truck Mexican Vanilla (available online at various sites and I believe in a few retailers) which is marketed by a Utah company is AMAZING. I like it even better than the Nielsen-Massey from WS.
LaLa Lady said…
Nielsen-Massey is the way to go...Madagascar or Tahitian. Tahitian tastes better, but is more expensive. You can find it at upscale grocers like Fairway, Williams-Sonoma, or Sur la Table. They also have Vanilla Paste!
clementine said…
www.cooksvanilla.com and i promis you wont be dissapointed. i exclusively use Cook's extract for my business. i just bought a 32 ounce bottle of the south pacific vanilla extract and it is amazing. i also use their lemon, orange, rum, and peppermint extracts. they have free shipping for orders of $50 or more and their extracts are about $1 an ounce. such a good deal and they are 100% pure and amazing.
Sugar Daze said…
I make my own like imagenthat recos. It takes a good week to get the flavor going. Put about 8 high quality split down the middle beans in a jar, cover in vodka (I use Absolut cause it's what we had in the house) but I think any old brand will do the trick. Keep in a cool, dark place and stir up once a day. The alcohol bakes off in cooking.

Good luck with your cupcakes - sounds like a rather large undertaking!
Unknown said…
I also make my own vanilla, 2-4 split beans in a jar, although I use rum, not vodka. It is great! & only takes a week or so till it's ready to use.
Caldwell said…
I have used Nielsen-Massey before, found it at Cost Plus. My recent find that I love is Sonoma Syrup Company's "Vanilla Bean Crush". It is a mix of vanilla with the beans. I love it in everything!

http://www.sonomasyrup.com/productb4.html#
Jess said…
I love Costco's Kirkland Signature Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla extract - it comes in a 16 oz. bottle and it better than any vanilla extract I've ever had!
MJ said…
Penzey's Double Strength vanilla

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysdoublestrengthvanilla.html

the Mexican Chocolate sounds amazing!