Are wedding cupcakes "over?"

Colorful Wedding Cupcakes
Cupcake wedding cake tower by Blue Cupcake via Flickr

Just as I've been getting excited that it's almost "wedding season" and dreaming up wedding cupcake posts, over in England, The Guardian is raining on our cupcake parade and insisting that wedding cupcakes are over:

Forget the perfect dress, the sacred vows, the spiritual or romantic venue. It seems the only thing that matters these days is the cake. The current craze for wedding cupcakes supports this theory.

But can you have your cupcake, and cut the cake too? The answer has got to be a resounding no. If you're going for the cupcake tower at your wedding, don't think you can have it both ways by topping it with a conventional warhead of marzipan-over-fruitcake for the knife-plunging moment.

Nope, if you go for cupcakes, you have opted out of the cutting of the cake. This is a rule that must not be broken. If you do, then you cannot legitimately say you had a cupcake wedding. In fact, your marriage will be annulled.

Don't even think about a single giant-sized cupcake on top either - you want to be able to look at those photos in five years' time without sobbing "what were we THINKING!" into your hands. The only proper way is a small cupcake cluster on the top tier, and for the photo call you'll just have to settle for the old feed-each-other-some-cake manoeuvre.


What do you think?

Obviously, we disagree, and have posted many examples of wedding cupcakes over the years that are elegant, classy, and beautiful - oh, and have shown that you can combine a cake and wedding cake. We'll be following up on this topic so if you had cupcakes at your wedding or your friends did or you made some for someone's wedding, send us your photos for a future roundup post. cupcakestakethecake at gmail.com

Comments

Cupcake Retro said…
I am in a wedding June 6th and they are having cake and cupcakes so it isn't out of fashion on this side of the pond!
Stephanie said…
I'm getting married in September and we're having cupcakes at our wedding. I think to each their own. My family loved the idea because they can have extra cupcakes to take home, but I know a lot of people who are still using traditional cakes.
Kelsey M. said…
I want cupcakes at my wedding. And I'm not even close to getting married. Even if it's 5 years from now I will want them at my wedding.
Yarn Princess said…
Why can't the top cupcake be a bigger one (one baked for two?) that you cut???

I would have liked that but cupcakes weren't the rage back then.
I saw the Guardian article too and was shocked to say the least.
We have taken 3 wedding orders in the last week so things must still be on the up for cupcakes over here! Thanks Cupcakes Take The Cake, for fighting our corner for us and for proving everyday that cupcakes are indeed fabulous! xx
Tinys and Tea said…
I'm definately having wedding cupcakes for my wedding!
Chelsea Fitch said…
Agreed. My cousin had cupcakes and instead of having the tower topped with a cake, they used the groom's cake for the cutting and feeding it to each other. I thought it was a nice balance.