Cupcake economics, sugar Sweet sunshine: “We were the recession before the recession"

Please note that the official spelling (I've never known why) of one of our favorite bakeries ever, sugar Sweet sunshine, has some interesting capitalization.

The Baruch College blog, Writing New York: Posts From the Borughs and Beyond, has a great profile of them and how the recession has affected them.

As for the progressively worsening economic climate, Weiner has noticed a trend.

“There’s usually a rush in the morning, the people who are on their way to work,” said Weiner. “In the afternoon, we get most of our foot traffic, perhaps because more people are unemployed and have more time on their hands, so they are up and about.”

Meanwhile, the business has seen a slight dip in corporate orders. However, their people first approach has had their loyal customers coming back for more despite the times.

While Debbie admits that the three keys to keeping their customers coming back and bringing in newer ones is product, low price and word of mouth, she also points out a much less obvious reason.

“There is a face behind Sugar Sweet Sunshine,” said Weiner. “We have a limited staff, but Peggy and I are on the premise all the time.”


It continues:

Peg & Debbie have used their basic, fundamental business knowledge to deal with the economic cloud hanging above them. They have kept the overhead and staff to a minimum, making sure their employees remain motivated and aren’t around twiddling their thumbs.

“I always tell people, as simplistic as it sounds, if you can balance a check book, you can do it. It’s just on a larger scale."

Comments

Mary Ann said…
This is my favorite bakery in New York. I would even venture to say that this is my favorite bakery in the world - and I've been to quite a few countries.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I let this recession hurt sugar Sweet sunshine. If I have to eat 8 dozen cupcakes a day and forsake my diet, I'll do it!