Sweet Revenge: "Best case against cupcake backlash"

Sweet Revenge Eat Out Award

Sweet Revenge Eat Out Award

Congratulations to Marlo Scott and her New York bar/bakery Sweet Revenge, which has been a favorite of ours since it opened, for winning the Time Out New York Eat Out Award for "Best Case Against the Cupcake Backlash," pictured above. (see my full photo set from last night's visit)

Time Out New York wrote of Sweet Revenge's "Best Case Against the Cupcake Backlash" award:

Baker Marlo Scott steamrollered over the Magnolia-model cupcake’s innocent charms: In place of a glass of milk, she pairs her confections with wine; where there were pastel swirls of frosting, there are now anarchic spikes of peanut butter, cream cheese and milk-chocolate icing. In the process, she saved the maligned baked good from a cloying rep—and earned TONY decoration.

Sweet Revenge Mayan chocolate cupcake plus champagne
We chatted a bit about what makes Sweet Revenge unique in New York City, land of many cupcake bakeries, and this gigantic champagne bottle, plus the fact that they serve alcohol and are open late, is definitely one of them. I didn't have champagne but my friend Heidi did and said it was delicious.

Sweet Revenge Mayan chocolate cupcake
I tried the Mayan chocolate cupcake, which has cinnamon chocolate buttercream and cinnamon chocolate cake - not to be confused with the Dirty (dark chocolate cupcake) or Not So Dirty (milk chocolate cupcake). It was pretty good, though I couldn't taste the cinnamon too much. I'd recommend the dark, rich and almost sinful Dirty cupcake over this one, but it's worth a try.

I was extremely full so couldn't finish it all, so I took the rest home:

Sweet Revenge cupcake to go cup

Comments

eugy said…
This is by far my favorite cupcake place in NYC. I am in love with their cupcakes and beer cocktails. =) COngrats to Marlo and Sweet Revenge!