Where to get your Boston cupcake fix

cupcakes from Party Favors
photo by Courtney Hollands/Boston.com staff

This Boston Globe piece on Boston cupcake bakeries came right in time since I will be visiting Boston soon. I won't have enough time to thoroughly tour all the city's cupcakes, but I will be tasting as many as I can.

They visited: Petsi Pies in Sommerville and Cambridge, Sweet in Boston, South End Buttery in Boston, Fiore's Bakery in Jamaica Plain, Party Favors in Brookline, Kickass Cupcakes in Somerville, and Lulu's Bake Shoppe in Boston. They even have a poll asking about your favorites; as of 7:45 on Monday, Kickass Cupcakes is just edging out Party Favors.

They also did a little followup.

If you have a favorite Boston cupcake bakery, please share in the comments or let us know at cupcakestakethecake at gmail.com - I'm hoping to get back again this summer too.

Comments

Greta said…
My personal favorite is Sweet on Mass. Ave. Their cupcakes are moist, the frosting is delicious and creamy, and they usually have some interesting flavors for the seasons. Also, they have mini cupcakes in a lot of the basic flavors, so if you're on weight watchers, like me, you can splurge a bit and eat a mini.

Kickass Cupcakes is not bad, but I still think Sweet is better. Definitely try the Mojito cupcake at Kickass!
KatieMcG said…
I really love Babycakes in Quincy. She makes perfect small batches of a few rotating flavors every day. The babycake is my favorite (think Hostess but 1000x better), with the cookies and cream a close runner up.
Abbey said…
Okay, I cannot understand how Kickass is beating all the others. Has anyone actually been there? Sure, the name is cute and the flavors are creative, but the cupcakes are dry, dry, dry. More than likely, people chose Kickass because of the name. Petsi's is where it's at! Coconut cupcakes...delightful!
Mel said…
I think Sweet has the BEST red velvet cupcakes. Seriously one of the best cupcakes I've ever tasted.
Unknown said…
Definitely check out Sugar Bakery in West Roxbury!

http://www.sugarbakery.net/
mlshoare said…
I love Sweet - however you should really try out Lyndells in Somerville. It is a great bakery and their cupcakes are some of my favorites. I live right next to Petsi's, however I am not big on hostess cakes, nor coconut so I am out of luck with theirs. They did have a seasonal red velet for valentines day though, that was impressove! Lulu's - not impressed - I think it probably tasted all right but the price totally threw the cupcake off the deep end for me. I have tried kickass numerous times and I have never LOVED them. Still need to try South end buttery, fiores, party favors, and sugar bakery...way too excited
Catherine said…
I've only ever been to Sweet (and LOVED the two minis I had there), but I was very pleased when the Boston Globe printed this list, because my bachelorette party is going to be a cupcake crawl in Boston- now we already have our itinerary!

We'll have matching pink t-shirts saying "Catherine's Cupcake Crawl 2009", and I think my crawl will be in late July/early August. I can't wait!
Anonymous said…
I think you will be sorely disappointed in Kick Ass. Party favors are tried and true, while Sweet on Mass. ave has the best decor.