Where the Wild Things Are monster cupcakes

DSC05547

Inspired by cupcake towers made by Blue Cupcake, blogger Kitchen DoughDough made this Where the Wild Things Are cupcake tower for her son Max's first birthday party. photos via Flickr

And in case you're wondering, her blog name is defined in opposition to a "kitchen dodo" as "someone that wants to further their knowledge about all things pertaining to the kitchen."

I love the little teeth. And the eyes. And the frosting hair!

DSC05662

DSC05734

She's got the recipes she used on her blog, and writes:

Monster Cupcakes: These monster cupcakes were inspired by the ones on blue cupcake's cupcake tower. Since I haven't used fondant (yet!) I decided to create my own version using cashews, lemonheads (with the eyes drawn on with edible markers), and slivered almonds. Aren't the paper cups cute? I got them at a fabulous cooking store, Orson Gygi.

To decorate with frosting, I used tip #12 round and piped it up. (Is that the right term? I'm still learning, here!) After the party, I got around to creating the monster that has hair in the book (see below). I used tip #233 multi-opening. Isn't he funny? Obviously, I need to practice using that tip some more.


As a special bonus for those who want to know more, make sure you check out this post, with photos of Max at his birthday party, and more info on the Where the Wild Things Are cake/cupcake combo:

My mom made the cake/cupcake toppers of Max from the book with my Max's face on it. I bought the Where the Wild Things Are cupcake topper rings from ebay.

Comments

Well you've made Kitchen Dough Dough's day and mine too...as I'm her mom and couldn't be more proud!!! She truly is a do-do in the kitchen but bless her little heart, she's finally learning and now she's running circles around me! Thanks so much!!! They were SO worthy of a post!! xo, Nan