Eclipse Chocolat returns with creme fraiche cupcakes



San Diego's Eclipse Chocolat is back with their Second Annual Cupcake Extravaganza Weekend. See last year's interview with co-owner Will Gustwiller to find out more about these very special cupcakes.

They write on their blog:

If you were being held captive this time last year by anti chocolate and/or cupcake terrorists, then you may not have heard about our event. Otherwise, I'm sure you made it. Yes? But for the benefit of everyone who might be reading this, here goes: Fourth of July Weekend (Friday-Sunday) join us at the cafe for 28 different flavors of Crème Fraîche Cupcakes (as our normal selection of 16 rotates with 6 flavors daily, this is quite a feat!). Better yet, all cupcakes are priced to move! So take them to your picnics, parties, and pro chocolate and/or cupcake capitalist rallies at just $20 for a Box of Nine (normally $27) or Buy One Get One Free!

There's also a contest to win the Box of Nine every week for 2 months! As they say: "begin salivating."



Here's a snippet from his interview:

All of my cupcakes are filled, and each is garnished with its own unique topping. That means rotating 25 fillings and 36 different toppings. Nothing is decorative, and all toppings contribute to the overall flavor profile. As a chocolatier, baking cupcakes didn’t really make much sense to me…so it wasn’t until I started treating them like truffles (each with a filling, ganache glaze, and unique topping) that they really came together conceptually.

All of the early cupcakes are based on flavor profiles that I am using in my chocolate bar or truffle lines, though about mid-way through development, I started to branch out significantly. The last 8 or so are certainly unusual, often using savory ingredients and settling into a middle ground between plated dessert and a meal!

Comments

Brunch at Saks said…
Just found your blog- love it!!!
Hi girls,

I simply love your site.
And I loved the new colours!

I'm here everyday, really EVERYDAY!
My name is Danielle and I'm from Brasil, and here we don't have the habit of the cupcake, it's hard to find it here.

So, anyway... i'm writing only to thank you for the blog =)


bye bye...
Laurel said…
I'd just had a baby when they did this last year and missed it, but I'm definitely going to stop by this year. Buy one get one free?! Awesome.
Unknown said…
love this blog. know of any good bakeries in southerna california? specifically san bernardino county? i figure I will probably have to drive a distance, but just didn't want to have to drive to too many just to review it myself. email me at meganbilbao@gmail.com thanks!
beckylbranch said…
Oh my gosh! Those look soooooo good!
Lady P said…
really like the new look, girls!