Is Citarella the new It spot for New York cupcakes?

Kate Heddings, Senior Food Editor at Food & Wine, just gave me my next must-try spot for cupcakes in New York: Citarella (various locations in Manhattan and the Hamptons). I'd stopped by a while back and seen them in the display case, but was too nervous to snap a photo, and couldn't buy any at that moment. Will try and see if I like them as much as she does!

Heddings wrote on the Food & Wine Mouthing Off blog:

I love cupcakes, and I love that they continue to be so popular—I was worried the trend would die out, but it's still going strong. This weekend, I attended an event called Taste of the Upper West Side and had what could be my favorite new NYC cupcake, from Joanne Gregory, the new pastry chef at Citarella. Joanne served mini versions of four cupcakes: coconut, red velvet, chocolate with fresh strawberry frosting and chocolate with chocolate frosting. Each cake was moist and light (the style I prefer) and capped with a thick, fluffy swirl of excellent, not-too-sweet frosting. For the sake of research, I will have to go to Citarella and buy some full-size cupcakes. If they're as good as the ones I had this weekend, they may be right up there with the incomparable cupcakes from awesome pastry chef Jennifer Giblin at Blue Smoke as Manhattan's best.

Comments

I 100% love your blog, and just by the pictures I gained 10 pounds