CupcakesTaketheCake

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Watermelon cupcake roundup

Perfect for summer...



It's the June cupcake of the month at Rutherford, NJ's Sweet Avenue Bakeshop, and is available every Tuesday and Thursday. "It’s a watermelon-flavored cake with chocolate chips, topped with watermelon frosting & a watermelon candy."

Inspired by the Sweet Avenue one, here are a few more watermelon cupcakes from our Flickr pool:

BBQ Picnic Cupcakes- Watermelon
by The Sweet Tooth Fairy via Flickr

Watermelon Cupcakes
(we love this one so much we're posting it again - we try very hard not to repeat photos but for this roundup I'm making an exception)
from The Sweetest Kitchen via Flickr. Jamieanne writes:

I thought this was a really cute idea so decided to try it out. I halved the recipe for Magnolia Bakery's vanilla cupcakes so I would get just one dozen instead of two (although I ended up with 14). I added 10 drops (give or take a drop) of red food coloring and 1/4 cup plus about a tablespoon more of mini chocolate chips.

I then used a watermelon frosting recipe I found here, though was disappointed that the frosting was too liquidy to pipe at all, even after refrigerating it for a while. It does taste nice, however! Oh, and I added green food coloring to the frosting as well.

I’d like to find a watermelon frosting that is pipeable, so if anyone knows of one, please tell me! If I could have piped this I would have liked to split the frosting into two parts - one the light pink color and the other the light green color, then put the two colors into a pastry bag to get a swirl effect. Also what might be nice is a cute little slice of watermelon made out of fondant, placed on top of the cupcake.


Watermelon Look-Alike Cupcake
Watermelon look-alike cupcakes from Beantown Baker (go there for the recipe) via Flickr

watermelon candy
lemon yogurt cupcake with delicious gummy fruits from Caputo's, photo Bake & Destroy via Flickr

Watermelon cupcake
by Flickr user le fluff le puff

Sleepover Birthday Cupcakes
by A Baked Creation via Flickr

5 comments:

caroldee said...

I love watermelon flavor.. I bet it makes a very big surrprise to everyone who tastes one. I will look up some of the recipe frosting ideas. I hate hard icing and so this will be a treat.
Thanks for sharing : )

caroldee said...

I think JELLO has a watermelon flavor in the summertime. You might try using the dry jello in the frosting maybe that would give it flavor and color without the liquid mess. Just a thought. : )

Jamieanne said...

Thanks for reposting my watermelon cupcakes! :D

Just an FYI, I've since found watermelon flavoring available online which I would use if I made watermelon cupcakes again. I didn't even know they made watermelon flavoring! Jello watermelon flavor, like Caroldee suggested, would be a good idea to try too.

I love the look of Sweet Avenue Bakeshop's watermelon cupcake!

ATigerInTheKitchen said...

What pretty cupcakes -- do you have a recipe you can share?

Cake me said...

Could someone write the water melon cake recipe?. Thanks a lot,
MARIA
mcgraciab2005@yahoo.com