Interview with vegan cupcake caterer Janet Hudson

Name: Janet Hudson
Age: Just right...a '59 model
Location: Carlsbad, California
Occupation: I currently "work" as a veterinary training director. My other job is as personal chef.
URL: www.veganfeast.com






Image courtesy of Don Mirra of North County Times.






You make the most awesome vegan cupcakes. What's your inspiration?

My imagination. I think of the flavors and textures that I like and I create combinations that hopefully are pleasing to the palate as well as the eye. I am not a cake decorator so it is a challenge. And I love a good challenge.




Lemon Peppered Fudge Cupcakes

Lemon Peppered Fudge Cupcakes





Hazelnut Charmed Cupcakes

Hazelnut Charmed Cupcakes



Lemon Thyme with Red Current Cupcake

Lemon Thyme with Red Current Cupcake






Are you a vegan? Do you keep a vegan household?


My husband and I have been vegan since 1994. I have been vegetarian since the late '70s. We strive to live vegan -- it is sometimes difficult, but not as bad as it used to be.



Were you raised vegan? Vegetarian?

Nope. Both my husband and I originate from carnivorous backgrounds.




7 7 Cupcake

Seven-n-7 Cupcakes



Cuppa Caramel Popcorn by norwichnuts

Cuppa Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes





What inspired you to go vegan? Was it a health decision? Was it about your love of animals?

To make a long story short, I "found my morals" over the years working with animals in the entertainment industry, animal sheltering, and veterinary industry -- I do that full time. My husband did it for health reasons.




Is it difficult to find vegan ingredients to bake with? Do you find yourself having to substitute a lot?

It is not difficult after you learn what to use. It can be daunting at first...I used to use many substitutions and learned to "veganize" many of my old recipes: egg replacers for example. Instead of an egg, I used to use the packaged EnerG Egg Replacer. Now I use either ground flax seed with a little water or baking powder, flour, oil and water all whisked together. Soy and nut milks are wonderful replacements for whole milk and nut kremes make delightful whipped topping.




Saffron Cupcake with Golden Raspberry Peach Filling and Raspberry Cardamom Butter Cream with Pistachio

Saffron Cupcake with Golden Raspberry Peach Filling and Raspberry Cardamom Buttercream with Pistachios






Chocolate Raspberry Ripple Cupcake


Chocolate Raspberry Ripple Cupcake




Do you bake your cupcakes for sale or for yourself and your family? Do you ship? Do you cater?

I do not ship, no. I do bake as a caterer, and I use friends and family members as testers.





Aromatic Apricot Pina Colada Cupcake

Aromatic Apricot Pina Colada Cupcake






Vanilla Bean Lavender Cupcake with Salted Caramel Filling


Vanilla Bean Lavender Cupcake with Salted Caramel Filling







If they are for sale, where can I get them?

Stacie, when you get to California, look me up and I will feed you!



You seem to focus on locally grown and seasonal ingredients. Do you "grow your own" or purchase supplies?

Both. We have an herb and vegetable garden, and I visit Farmer's Markets. If it is not in season or is not fresh, that is a compromise I do not want to make for my clients.




Pickles and Ice Cream Cupcake

Pickles and Ice Cream Cupcake




Momma Mambo! Lime Salsa Cupcakes

Momma Mambo! Lime Salsa Cupcake





Savory Stuffed Celery Pop Cupcakes

Savory Stuffed Celery Pop Cupcake




Chervil Cupcake with Gooseberry Chervil Curd and Cashew Cream

Chervil Cupcake with Gooseberry Chervil Curd and Cashew Cream






Mate Cupcake with Dragon Fruit Cupcake

Mate Cupcake with Dragon Fruit




Bumpkin Pumpkin Moonshine Cupcakes with Butterscotch Cinnamon Kreme

Bumpkin Pumpkin Moonshine Cupcakes with Butterscotch Cinnamon Kreme





All Choked Up Savory Cupcakes

All Choked Up Savory Cupcakes





I noticed that you have a wonderful blog where you share your recipes and photos. Do you create your own recipes or use/adapt others'?

The blog was started when I became an Iron Cupcaker. I am so busy that the only food that is shared there are cupcakes for the most part. I do have standard recipes that I adapt each cupcake to. And the bible for all vegan cupcakes is VCTOTW (Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World), so I have adapted some of their standard flavors to my new cupcakes, and give credit there when that occurs.




Iron Cupcake Earth: Summer Berries

Iron Cupcake Earth: Summer Berries






Have you published your work?

I have a vegan cookbook, The New Vegan: Fresh, Fabulous and Fun, that was published in 2005. It did not come out exactly as planned though...I am awaiting the latest, Vegan Feasts, as I write this. It is a celebratory family-style cookbook, with discussion and photographs this time -- something that was left out the last time. I am thinking about a cupcake book, so who knows?





Blackberry Pan Dowdy Cupcake

Blackberry Pan Dowdy Cupcake




Strawberry Sangria Soda Pop Cupcake

Strawberry Sangria Soda Pop Cupcake





Cherry Cabernet Chocolate Truffle Cupcake with Cabernet Kreme

Cherry Cabernet Chocolate Truffle Cupcake with Cabernet Kreme




Black Cherry LolliPOP!


Black Cherry LolliPOP!






How many different types of cupcakes have you created?

Gee, I would have to count...a lot!



Your cupcake photography is also pretty nifty. Do you have a history in the fine arts?

I joined Flickr to learn more about photography...my father was a professional photographer, so maybe it is in the genes.




Double Chocolate Cranberry Brownie Cupcake

Double Chocolate Cranberry Brownie Cupcake






Peanut Butter Coffee Cupcakes ("You Got a Latte Coffee In My Peanut Butter"!)

Peanut Butter Coffee Cupcakes



Black Bottom Cranberry Cupcake

Black Bottom Cranberry Cupcake





How often do you eat cupcakes?

I would say two to three times a week. And then I go running.



What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

It is not like a huge piece of cake, which is too much. They are bites of guiltless joy and tummy happiness!



What's your favorite type of cupcake?

I love cupcakes that have a surprise center. Triple goodness: the frosting, the cake and the filling.




Chocolate Raspberry Ripple Cupcake

Chocolate Raspberry Ripple Cupcake




Chocolate Walnut Wasabi Cupcake with Asian Pear

Chocolate Walnut Wasabi Cupcake with Asian Pear






Saki-To Me Cardamom Cupcake with Go-Go Strawberry Kreme and Kiwi Ganache

Saki-To Me Cardamom Cupcake with Go-Go Strawberry Kreme and Kiwi Ganache




Sour Green Apple Cupcakes

Sour Green Apple Cupcakes




Strawberry S'more Cupcake

Strawberry S'more Cupcake




How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

Cannot compare them, they are perfect.




Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

Completely edible wrappers. And I mean pretty wrappers...not the plain wafer paper. [ed note: are you listening, cupcake wrapper people?]




Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I bake the testers, get them perfected, and then have people come in and help as needed.





Pistachio Baklava Cupcake

Pistachio Baklava Cupcake



Mangosteen Squared Cupcake

Mangosteen Squared Cupcake




Caramel Florentine Fudge Cupcake

Caramel Florentine Fudge Cupcake






What's your first cupcake-related memory?

My best friend's dad was a baker and one year he brought in cupcakes for the class. I must have been in 3rd or 4th grade. They were vanilla with vanilla icing and chocolate jimmies. They were huge! I remember thinking that I had to somehow get more of those...and I did the next time we had a sleepover. I raided their fridge and we ate 6 cuppies between the two of us, got caught, and got sick. But it was worth it.



What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

Personally, just eating a cupcake is fun. Does one lick the frosting first, dunk the cake, or eat the filling from the middle, much like an Oreo?

I love to use cupcakes in baby showers, bridal showers, wedding receptions, and whenever a celebration is in order. Seeing people enjoy a great cupcake or food that I have prepared special for them is very rewarding.






Vegan Baby Shower Cupcakes

Vegan Baby Shower Cupcakes




Sunflower Easter


Sunflower Easter Cupcakes




Chocolate Raspberry Ripple Cupcake

Chocolate Raspberry Ripple Cupcake




Trick or Treat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cupcakes with Butterscotch Cinnamon Frosting by norwichnuts

Trick or Treat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cupcakes with Butterscotch Cinnamon Frosting




Birthday Cupcakes 2

Vegan Vanilla Birthday Cupcakes





Do you have anything else to add?

Stay tuned for more cupcakes, and thank you for the interview Stacie!



You can see Janet's images here (and a slideshow here) follow her blog here, buy her books here, and hire her as a vegan caterer here.

All cupcake images from NorwichNuts.

Comments

All I can say is Yum Yum Yum and I am loving the original flavors, very creative!
Artichoke Zine said…
They all look so amazing!
Very inspiring, and wonderful to hear of a vegan chef doing so well, and having so much fun!
Lovely interview x
Creative Tara said…
Oh. My. Goodness. Those are some of the most incredibly interesting, delicious looking cupcakes EVER! YUM!
I admire you so much for being vegan, it is hard enough being vegetarian when you enjoy cooking but baking as a vegan is a real challenge...you have done an impressive job of being inventive and obviously prolific, and the cupcakes look fantastic. My hat is off to you!!