East Village cupcaking with Nick

My friend and fellow cupcaker, Nick, came to visit from Philadelphia, to enjoy the local East Village cupcake scene. I took him to Butter Lane and Dessert Club, Chikalicious. We would have hit up another place but we were fairly oversugared at the end of our day.


We started at Butter Lane, where I was very eager to try the salted caramel popcorn-topped cupcakes. Every time I had dropped by, they were sold out. I (helpfully) called ahead to make sure they saved me a couple.



Butter Lane



I loved them! Vanilla cake with the caramel frosting made slightly salty by the perfect topper, popcorn. I never would have thought of it, but they were amazingly good. Nick said he wasn't expecting to like the popcorn, but he enjoyed it, very much so. He was impressed by the salty-sweet combo (one I particularly enjoy) and felt the cake was light on flavor but the frosting was smooth and not gritty at all. I don't think he's used to the European style buttercreams. Nick didn't think the caramel taste was too strong either, in fact he found it hard to detect, but I thought it was perfect. (Don't change a thing, Butter Lane!)


We loaded up with flavors so Nick could experience everything available. Mmm, strawberry chocolate, maple walnut, banana cream cheese, mocha and more.



Butter Lane




Butter Lane



After devouring a vanilla caramel popcorn-topped cupcake I could only try a nibble of the other flavors, so I'll leave reviewing to Nick.



Butter Lane



Nick reported enjoying the maple-walnut, which he swore was pecan but I am certain was walnut. We agreed to disagree. Nick eyed the coffee beans with mistrust, but ended up (similar to the popcorn toppers) enjoying the flavor and texture. He felt it added to the mocha experience, which might have been lighter without the bean toppers.


We both found the chocolate cake a bit dry in the strawberry chocolate. It crumbled in our hands, but wasn't unpleasantly dessicated. I feel that Butter Lane does a decent job with chocolate cake, but I personally do not care for it as a flavor. I am a vanilla girl, I guess. The cake was light and had good crumb, but bring a big napkin if you plan to eat this cupcake!


The frosting was buttery-rich and sometimes I think I could eat a tub full, which is unusual for me. Both Nick and I agreed that there was a perfect frosting to cupcake ratio. I let Nick finish taste-testing while I eyed my dessert's dessert.


My favorite, discovered early and not varied-upon:




Butter Lane



The banana cream cheese. SO delicious. Possibly one of my top 10 cupcakes ever. I reluctantly let Nick share my favorite and was not surprised when he made happy noises. He swore it was home-baked, only better. I have only superlatives to describe this bit-o-heaven. Yum. Not too shocking that this cupcake is one of the bakery's best sellers. This one never disappoints.




Butter Lane



People seem to enjoy the "build-your-own" cupcake concept. Choose a cake and a frosting type and flavor, toppings if applicable.
Another thing I like about the place is the friendly staff.


Manager Marco Lopez:


Butter Lane



and




counterperson Emilio Tostado:


Butter Lane


They couldn't be nicer or more helpful.



Also pleasant, we found three beautiful women there enjoying a mid-afternoon cupcake break.


Butter Lane





I was hoping we'd have a nice long walk to work off that sugar but our next stop was only a few blocks away.



Ahh, Dessert Club, Chikalicious, what a groovy place.


Dessert Club, Chikalicious



Chikalicious (for short) is a modern place with a great jazzy vibe. And truly scrumptious, well-crafted cupcakes. Elegant, each one a jewel. Seriously, each cupcake is perfect-looking. I swear they must edit them.


I was stuffed. I have a feeling Nick was fairly stuffed too. We decided to taste a few cupcakes in hopes we wouldn't explode.



Dessert Club, Chikalicious


We went with owner Don's recommendation of lemon-lemon and Angie's (manager) pick of red velvet.


Nick loved the lemon icing. Right off the bat. He ate my cupcake too! I was getting a bottle of water and when I came back, it was gone. He mentioned that he thought the cake portion was somewhat rubbery, but I didn't agree. Nick likes cold-cold cupcakes and I prefer room temperature, so that might have accounted for the difference. I thought the lemon-lemon was airy and light, delicate but definitely there. Refreshing and piquant, this is a great warm sunny day cupcake. (Although I'd be pleased to eat it year-'round.)




Dessert Club,Chikalicious




Dessert Club, Chikalicious




I didn't get a chance to taste the red velvet (honestly, I couldn't fit another bite at that point). We'll have to rely on Nick's review for that one. Nick is a Yankee through and through, so he wasn't raised on red velvet cake. *grin* He thought it tasted delicately of chocolate, with a fantastic cream cheese frosting that was grainless and smooth. Silky, even.


While Nick recovered from his sugar high, I spoke to Don about what's new at Chikalicious. Macaroons, that's what's new! And cakes! And eclairs! And I didn't try a single one. Next time, I promise. (Salted caramel macaroon, I'm looking at you.)




Dessert Club, Chikalicious




Dessert Club, Chikalicious



Dessert Club, Chikalicious




and those eclairs:


Dessert Club, Chikalicious





There were also cakes, which are a new item for the bakery. They were in a glass case that wasn't easy to photograph, but how yummy does this look?



Dessert Club, Chikalicious


I think this is a Green Tea Grand Marnier cake, but I'm not sure.




Don and Angie told me about some new petit fours they are making, as well as truffles (Mmmm...) and *drum roll* mini cupcakes. I love minis! I see another trip to Dessert Club, Chikalicious in my very near future...



I want to thank Nick for his tasting notes and company, and extend my gratitude to Butter Lane and Dessert Club, Chikalicious, for feeding us and giving us the scoop on upcoming flavors and products. Also, stay tuned for my interview with Maria Baugh of Butter Lane and some exciting news about Butter Lane's new cupcake classes!





All photos by Stacie Joy. Complete Butter Lane set here; Dessert Club Chikalicous set here.




Comments