Erin McKenna of BabyCakes NYC reacts to the Newsweek article

And is pretty spot in in my opinion; read our post about the Newsweek article.

By owner Erin McKenna at the BabyCakes NYC blog:

You're probably too lazy (I mean, busy) to read it so I'll give you a quick summary: It says that CUPCAKES ARE OOOOOVER!!!! Who the what?!?! That's right. Done. He makes some noise about how everyone is a foodie now so they've developed sophisticated palettes and that cupcakes are, "willfully uncomplex, familiar...".

Hmm. I mean, c'mon. I consider myself someone who is borderline obsessed with food and while I do enjoy the subtle and complex approach to cooking/baking that is so
now, I also appreciate the straight-forward deliciously simple offering of a cupcake. They have no bells and whistles. They don't act cool or put on airs (as my irish mother says). They're just hanging out being cupcakes. There's always going to be the new hottest thing (DONUTS?!?!?!?!) but even if the press moves on to other sweets to obsess over, I'm certain that cupcakes are here to stay.

Are you with me? What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Comments

Sunshine Mom said…
How absurd! Articles like that are why I canceled my Newsweek subscription. :) Cupcakes are sooo not over!!