OMG! OMG Cupcakes are delicious, especially the vegan gluten-free Mounds

OMG Cupcakes vegan gluten free omg delicious Mounds cupcakes

After reading about their vegan gluten-free Mounds cupcake, I emailed New York cupcake delivery company OMG Cupcakes about placing an order. They kindly offered to comp me a dozen cupcakes, and they delivered the assortment you see below to me the next day.

OMG Cupcakes delivery

Quite often, I share my cupcakes and I don't try them all. I was planning to share the assorted cupcake package I received, but I was compelled to try each and every one because they were each so intriguing (please note: I did not eat 12 entire cupcakes, but I did taste them all...and ate the entire Mounds and was tempted to eat the other one). The flavors stand out, for one thing. Mounds is very much Mounds: coconut sprinkled on chocolate frosting and coconut in the cake. Chocolate peppermint is unmistakably chocolate peppermint. Which is as it should be, and yet sometimes when you bite into a cupcake, it's hard to tell exactly what's happening. Or it's good the first second it hits your tongue and then becomes less delicious as you eat it.

These were all very good. Some I liked more than others, but I appreciate the high quality and uniqueness of them. One I'd never tried before was lemon-lime - interesting combination.

OMG Cupcakes chocolate peppermint and chocolate fudge brownie cupcakes

The chocolate fudge brownie cupcake, seen above (the peppermint has the little green dots of frosting on it) has a warning on the label that says "Delicious fudgie heavy chocolate treat! Not for the faint hearted!" I have to agree. This is the only one that I actually couldn't really handle the frosting because the cake was SO rich. Exactly like a brownie - thick and chunky with chocolate and ultra, ultra rich.

Inside OMG Cupcakes chocolate peppermint cupcake

The Mounds was by far my favorite. The person who dropped them off swore that I wouldn't be able to tell they were vegan or gluten-free, and I wouldn't have known. It had a lot of coconut but I could also taste the chocolate of the frosting and they mixed together really well, plus the cake was amazing. The chocolate peppermint was also very good, and the lemon lime had an unusual flavor that was indeed a mix of those two. The vanilla was pretty good, but if I had to order one flavor, I'd go with the Mounds.

Some of the cakes are a bit denser and more crumbly than others; the chocolate and brownie cupcakes are a bit lighter. Their red velvet is unusual; good but very hearty. I can't quite place the taste of the red velvet frosting. It's not overpoweringly sweet, thankfully, or "cheesy," because it's also vegan and gluten-free. With the package containing cinnamon, caliente hot chocolate, red velvet and carrot, I did taste a difference from the traditional cupcakes, but I liked them. Each flavor is distinct and the caliente hot chocolate one packs a bite.

For anyone who only eats vegan and/or gluten free, I would definitely recommend these, and the Mounds and brownie and chocolate peppermint and lemon lime to anyone. I like that they have this variety pack with a mix of the vegan/gluten-free and traditional ones, which is perfect for a party or event where some people have dietary restrictions and some don't. The packaging was also very cute and the cupcakes were in excellent condition and each box of 4 had a label telling me what was in it. You can also purchase them and Cafe 1 (140th and Amsterdam) near City College Also at Bruno Ravioli 2nd ave Between 23rd and 24th, just announced on Twitter, soon their vegan gluten-free cupcakes will be for sale at ELM Natural Foods in NYC (1st ave & 88th).

They do delivery in New York City and New Jersey and orders can be placed by phone or on their website. Delivery is free in New York City from 96th Street to Canal Street with a $24 minimum, from Monday-Saturday, 10 am to 8 pm.

Regarding their ingredients, here's some info from their FAQ:

I can't eat soy or nuts, but I want a cupcake?
We happily do custom cupcakes 1 dozen minimum, we can easily accomodate that In Vanilla & Chocolate and Maple cinnamon only at this time. We do have more wiggle room with our frostings and can do chocolate, vanilla, maple, orange, lemon, banana.

How do you do that?
We use Rice Milk and Soy Free Secret ingredients for our frosting.

What's in them?
Our Gluten Free/Vegan Products have there own space and equipment ONLY used for them to avoid cross contamination. We both have wheat allergies so we are vigilant about this.
We do NOT use spelt, in any of our products. In our Vegan and Gluten Free Line, there is NO EGGS, DAIRY,CASEIN,WHEAT or COCONUT OIL.(except in the mounds cupcake)
They do contain soy and nuts or nut extracts, We only use the finest ingredients in our products.

WE do use organic fair trade sugars, this is NOT a sugar free product, we use agave, sucanat, turbinado and Vegan cane sugar and organic vegan confectioners sugar and vegan Chocolate and organic fair trade cocoa powders, All of our ingredients are KOSHER, however we are not certified yet.
In our traditional cupcakes we use organic Eggs and Milk they do not contain nuts or soy.


OMG Cupcakes
201-522-6610
omgcupcakes at gmail.com

OMG Cupcakes
(I forgot to photograph these before I started digging in!)
from top and going clockwise: caliente hot chocolate, carrot, red velvet, maple cinnamon

Comments

Rose said…
YUM! Im yet to find a cupcake in the stores in Australia which is vegan. The US seems to be wayyy ahead of us.

Rose