Delivery Success: Georgetown Cupcake

Anyone who's dabbled in the live cupcake community can attest to the pains of transporting these fragile treats. Undaunted, Georgetown Cupcake in Washington D.C. is now offering next-day national delivery. Wary as I am about the damage that snail mail suffers, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of care that went into ensuring a safe and speedy passage for this box of seasonal cupcakes.

Efficient packaging

The bright pink box adorned with their signature black swirls is enough to perk up your day before you even get to the cupcakes. Inside, you'll find that same pink color on the cupcake box, which lies snug between foam cushions on the sides and under ice packs on top. The cupcakes are actually kept safe inside that box in a standard plastic cupcake to-go holder, with a half sheet of cupcake lids capped on top of them for extra protection.

Chocolate Hazelnut

One of the reasons why I love autumn is because it marks the use of pumpkin as a popular ingredient. This particular box of cupcakes is the seasonal set, which include Chocolate Hazelnut and Pumpkin Spice. In particular, I couldn't get enough of the toppings. Crunchy hazelnut pairs perfectly with a thin chocolate icing that traps moisture inside the chocolate cake. The Pumpkin Spice boasts a powerfully addictive buttercream, which definitely ranks amongst my personal favorites. I'm admittedly not the biggest buttercream fan, so I appreciate it when frostings are not overwhelmingly sugary and dense.

Unfortunately, the maple leaf decoration on the Pumpkin Spice had already melted by the time I opened the box. Each cupcake also had a small pole stuck inside to minimize movement, but I was slightly disappointed by the subsequent decrease in visual appeal. I just wish there was a less destructive way of going about this precaution. My own makeshift solution is to take out the sticks and smooth the frosting over the hole, so then nobody will be the wiser!

The truth is that no matter what, there is no panacea for cupcake transportation. All things considered, a tiny hole is a small price to pay for yummy cupcakes.

Georgetown Cupcake
1209 Potomac Street NW
Washington, DC 20007
www.georgetowncupcake.com

Comments

Unknown said…
Georgetown Cupcake cupcakes are so absolutely gross that people in DC are beginning to catch on to how bad they are. I can't believe that someone would pay to have them shipped anywhere else in the country! And what a terrible waste of plastic--definitely not environmentally friendly!!! Shame on them. They apparently love plastic so much that they even flavor their cupcakes like it!!
Reid said…
They deliver now?! O-M-G. I live about 5 mins away but spend most of the year at school in South Carolina. There is a cupcake place down here (simply called "Cupcake") but it doesn't even compare to the amazingness that is Georgetown Cupcake.
Also, I have no idea what Shayna is talking about. I've tried several cupcake places in DC and while all of them are good, Georgetown Cupcake is by far my favorite (and still the area favorite - they've won a ton of local awards for magazines and newspapers). Baked and Wired, Red Velvet and Hello Cupcake don't even compare. Also, they're not claiming to be environmentally friendly, they're claiming to get your cupcakes to you in one piece. That argument is totally irrelevant. I'm getting these shipped to me asap!
Eddie said…
Shayna, your comments sound like they are from a competitor. Their Cupcakes are very good and after many dozen have never been disappointed. Would I wait in a long like for them - no - but they are just as good as any other in the area. It's time to post fair comments
wetotla said…
this is brilliant!

I would wanna try this for my cupcake business in Malaysia, until now, a lot of customers asking for delivery and I've never thought this!!

www.totcupcakes.com
Tea Loves Cake said…
The lollipop sticks are a v clever idea!