Last night I was at JFK Airport for a while, waiting for my flight to Toronto (very excited about today's Toronto cupcake meetup at The Drake Hotel at 12:30 - there are a few spots left so feel free to show up but just drop me a line if you are at cupcakestakethecake at gmail.com).
So not only did I have time to get a manicure while there, but when I wandered over to my gate (Delta), I found Balducci's and...cupcakes! They are made by Big Apple Baking and were $4.89 each, and are pretty big, I think approaching Sprinkles-size cupcakes. I bought the two they had on offer - one with a Reese's peanut butter cup on top and one that looked like an Oreo/cookies and cream one. The clerk told me there are a few other flavors they offer but those were sold out; one was red velvet, not sure what else.
This is what they looked like:





The vanilla frosting was very, very thick and rich and sweet. I think normally it'd be too much for me but I was so tired from getting to the airport and all the stress of waiting that I was more than happy for all that butter and sugar and creaminess. The cake was delicious, very moist and rich and just a good chocolate cake. These are gigantic cupcakes so there's no way I could eat the whole thing.
I was disappointed that the Oreo on top was all mushy; that's no fun. So I picked at it but didn't eat it, but I liked the little chips on the first one and the cookie crumbles on the second one; both were nice visual touches and added a little to the eating experience. Definitely best for sharing and yes, pricey, but I say kudos to Balducci's for offering up a cupcake option.
I am still, all these years later, waiting for some enterprising cupcake bakery to open up a kiosk at an airport. Anyone? I feel like someone told me a rumor that this was in the works but I forget where and never heard comfirmation. I'd fly there just to check it out.
So not only did I have time to get a manicure while there, but when I wandered over to my gate (Delta), I found Balducci's and...cupcakes! They are made by Big Apple Baking and were $4.89 each, and are pretty big, I think approaching Sprinkles-size cupcakes. I bought the two they had on offer - one with a Reese's peanut butter cup on top and one that looked like an Oreo/cookies and cream one. The clerk told me there are a few other flavors they offer but those were sold out; one was red velvet, not sure what else.
This is what they looked like:





The vanilla frosting was very, very thick and rich and sweet. I think normally it'd be too much for me but I was so tired from getting to the airport and all the stress of waiting that I was more than happy for all that butter and sugar and creaminess. The cake was delicious, very moist and rich and just a good chocolate cake. These are gigantic cupcakes so there's no way I could eat the whole thing.
I was disappointed that the Oreo on top was all mushy; that's no fun. So I picked at it but didn't eat it, but I liked the little chips on the first one and the cookie crumbles on the second one; both were nice visual touches and added a little to the eating experience. Definitely best for sharing and yes, pricey, but I say kudos to Balducci's for offering up a cupcake option.
I am still, all these years later, waiting for some enterprising cupcake bakery to open up a kiosk at an airport. Anyone? I feel like someone told me a rumor that this was in the works but I forget where and never heard comfirmation. I'd fly there just to check it out.
Comments
thanks for all your info on the cupcake world..I am so hooked on your site!
roblovesleo:-)