TwentyFive Main, cupcaking in Southern Utah

Utah is well known for its love of all things cupcake. Case in point, UtahLovesCupcakes. I wasn't so sure, as my previous experience in Utah (during an ill-fated cross-country road trip when I was a teenager) hadn't been stellar. This trip was certainly different.

I will admit, from the get-go, that I was fascinated by the landscape and the people. I acted toward them the way visitors act toward the East Village when they come to NYC. I stared. I gawked. I tried to be mature and respectful, but I can't say I always was. They all looked so...fresh-faced and wholesome! And everyone was respectful and polite and helpful.

The geography of Southern Utah included some of the most beautiful landscape I'd ever seen. Zion National Park brought tears to my eyes with its beauty, and profoundly moved me. I took more snapshots here than anywhere else on my travels.


vacation




vacation



vacation



I would so love to go back. Another trip, perhaps.

Another high point of this part of my trip was getting to meet Joey Dye of TwentyFive Main in St. George and gobble down some of his amazing cupcakes.



TwentyFive Main



TwentyFive Main




Luckily, we were staying in St. George, and the cupcake parlor was only a few blocks away.



TwentyFive Main




TwentyFive Main would be a wonderful and welcoming spot in any place, but it was especially welcoming to this weary traveler, looking for coffee (good coffee...) and a sugary cupcake pick-me-up.


First thing you notice is that the restaurant is separated from the cupcake parlor. During my hour or so at the parlor I noticed families coming in to pick up their after-lunch cupcake for the kids. I loved hearing parents say, "You have to finish all your lunch if you want a cupcake." It seems that never goes out of style. I remember my folks telling me the same sort of thing.



TwentyFive Main



The cupcakes are made according to a daily schedule, which is available online, as well as at the bakery.



TwentyFive Main



Joey tells us that all his frostings are made with real fruit (in the form of a compote), and that he remains committed to using the freshest basic ingredients and not messing with them. Joey also recycled/repurposed the floor boards, making them into beautiful tables. He considers himself to be "practical green" about the movement, with an eco-friendly restaurant and parlor.



TwentyFive Main


Our table had a heart in it. Aw...


The decorations, brand colors and theme were carried throughout.


TwentyFive Main



TwentyFive Main




I loved this personalized mug. I also loved the damn fine coffee that was in it.



To keep the kids (and everyone else) amused, there are also store birds:


TwentyFive Main


Atticus and Scout, the birds.



And plush cupcake decorations:


TwentyFive Main



But enough about all that, let's get down to it: the cupcakes.

They were terrific!


TwentyFive Main



TwentyFive Main



TwentyFive Main



We tried one of each of the following:


TwentyFive Main


My favorite was, by far, the vanilla cake with strawberry frosting. It was a killer cupcake. Instead of my usual 1/4 or 1/8 slice of cupcake I ate almost the entire thing. Mmm...SO good.



TwentyFive Main



TwentyFive Main



The cake was cake-y (that sounds stupid, but it's the best descriptor I could find). Its dough was moist, dense and flavorful. Like cake mix cake, only much better. The frosting was sweet but not overly sweet (blessedly) and not grainy at all. The clear tart yet sweet strawberry taste came through in every bite. Long after I left Utah I would think about this cupcake.


The raspberry was pretty good too.


TwentyFive Main


The cupcakes were all a good size -- not too big, not too small. Perfect for the kids who were lined up ready to select their favorite flavor.



I know I keep saying this, but I am not a chocolate cake fan. I decided to take pity on my already-overstuffed cupcaking companion and eat the chocolate mocha cupcake myself.


TwentyFive Main


It was amazing! And that's saying something because it's hard for me to like a chocolate cupcake. It was almost a brownie it was so fudge-y and rich. The mocha came through just fine, especially with the bean topper. This cupcake with a glass of ice-cold milk. I'm just sayin'.


There are also other adult flavors, like the chai latte cupcake:


TwentyFive Main


I think this was my first chai latte cupcake but it wasn't my last. I've developed a soft spot for chai lattes.


I tried very hard to pump Joey for information, but he was sweetly close-mouthed. He wouldn't admit to any favorite flavors, saying that he's moody and his favorites change from day to day. He wouldn't tell me which cupcake was the best seller, saying they all sold well, which I believe. Joey did admit to plans for expansion, possibly in Vegas or LA. Joey's active on Twitter and quite amusing as well.



If you are in Southern Utah, or even if you are not, TwentyFive Main is a great place to go for lunch or dinner, followed by an endless cupcake orgy.



TwentyFive Main

The carnage.








TwentyFive Main
Monday through Thursday: 8:00 am to 9:00 pm
Friday and Saturday 8:00 am to 10:00 pm

25 N. Main Street - St. George, UT 84770
435-628-7110
contact [at] twentyfivemain.com



See the complete set of images here; all photos by Stacie Joy.



Comments

Danelle said…
So glad to see the review on twenty five main! I live in southern Utah and go there often! Their cupcakes are amazing! I'm quite partial to the chai myself but my fav is coconut... Amazing!!! <3
My fav is the coconut too - yummy. We looove 25 Main :-)
Used to live there & have to stop by & eat every time I am in town! Yumm to the coconut!
Unknown said…
RAD! I used to work there and bake those cupcakes at 25 Main. And they are absolutely DELICIOUS! Thanks for the shout out to Joey and 25, we love him and his cafe, and of course the cupcakes!! Chocolate Espresso is my fave, with Coconut and Pumpkin Chip tied at second!!
Many beautiful memories of St. George for me. There are some awesome off the beaten path places there also. Love the cupcakes. No, I live in FL.
Anonymous said…
thats totally awesome to hear :) i have worked there since its open and we are all super stoked to hear about this :) its been talked about since you posted it! thank you so much! joey was super excited to hear about this :) ps... the strawberry creme totally dominates :)