Cupcake sticker shock

Blogger Susan Emerald at UpNorth wrote about cupcake sticker shock while visiting The Urban Cake. I'm not totally sure which bakery she's talking about (possibly this one?) but it's an interesting issue: how much will you pay for a cupcake, and how much is too much?

She writes:

I was passing by the new bakery, 'The Urban Cake' on my way to TD (it is where the t-shirt shop used to be) and I thought I should check it out. I love bakeries, and am a huge fan of Cupcakes Etc. in Vancouver, despite an unfortunate too-many-cupcakes incident in which myself, my sister and friend became violently ill...

But anyways, I am always on the lookout for bright, gorgeous confections. The Urban Cake doesn't disappoint. It is a tiny, hole in the wall with a display case of various lavishly decorated cupcakes and mini-cupcakes, and brownies. I believe they do special-order cakes as well. I was ready to purchase a cupcake, which I believed to be around $3.00, which is on par with Cupcakes Etc in Vancouver (we bought a bunch of delicious day-olds for $12, and trust me, that was too much cupcake/sugar) so a pretty good deal, as far as designer sweets go.

I was eyeballing the case and then I noticed they were referring to normal-sized cupcakes as 'mini cakes' and the miniature cupcakes as 'cupcakes'. So...
a cupcake-sized regular cupcake was $7.50!!! And a mini cupcake 'cupcake' was $3.00!!! WTF

Way too expensive, in my humble opinion. I have taken cake decorating classes and I am not a half-bad baker. There is NO WAY I am paying more for a friggin' cupcake than I would at Cupcakes Etc, which have fantastic varieties as well. Outrageous!


Comments

Sophias Style said…
That is an outrageous amount for cupcakes...they are really cute but still! Would look great for a wedding!
Lise Ohlson said…
Holy cow! I thought $3.50 each here on the West Coast was high! $7.50 is way too pricey!