Red Velvet Lounge: Overhyped?

My only personal experience does not involve eating the cupcakes at Red Velvet Lounge. I went during a giant snowstorm in December, just after they were first written up in The New York TImes. I happened to be nearby. I was told at 9 pm to come back at 10 pm. Yes, they do have a red velvet rope. I came back at 10, went downstairs, and was snottily told it was only open for private parties. Good customer service is what gets me to go to, or keeps me from returning to, any establishment, cupcake or not, so I haven't been back, but maybe someone else on our staff will go check out their cupcakes.

In the meantime, The New York Times wrote them up:

The Red Velvet serves up roughly 250 liquor-laden mini-cupcakes per night to sweet-toothed revelers who swear they give them a buzz. Melissa Bushell of Baked By Melissa, known for its silver-dollar-size cupcakes, has teamed up with the Red Velvet mixologist Charlotte Voisey, formerly of the Dorchester in London, to create a decadent menu of cocktails and cupcakes for two times the splurge.

Each of Red Velvet’s signature libations is served with a bite-size alcohol-infused cupcake; for example, an espresso martini comes with an espresso cupcake infused with Jameson Irish Whiskey; an apple martini is accompanied by a Stoli Gala Applik vodka and cinnamon cupcake; and a rum and ginger cocktail is paired with a rum-soaked vanilla cupcake with ginger cookie frosting. The namesake Red Velvet cupcake, the only nonalcoholic confection available, is served with a flute of Armand de Brignac Demi Sec Champagne. And on special order, the signature cupcake can be dressed up with fancy Champagne frosting, courtesy of Perrier-Jouët rosé.

“I came here because of the red velvet cupcakes, and they’re fabulous,” said Michelle Kramer, 26, who was visiting the lounge at the suggestion of a girlfriend. “They gave me a martini glass of an assortment of cupcakes, and it was incredible. My favorite was the vanilla with cinnamon on top. And I also loved the red velvet with vanilla icing.”

Comments