How opt in email lists (and manners) work

So we have a Feedblitz account (see the left-hand side of our blog above the Carolyn's Kitchen ad) where you can sign up for emails featuring our blog posts, which many of you have done (thank you!), and sometimes people sign up and then can't figure out how to unsubscribe. Perfectly understandable. What's not understandable or acceptable is then sending us 14 irate emails using profanity to berate us for not magically reading your mind and taking you off a list you signed up for. That is not how the Internet works. It's an opt in mailing list meaning you signed up for it all by yourself.

At the bottom of Feedblitz emails it says Click here to safely unsubscribe now from "Cupcakes Take The Cake" or change your subscription or subscribe. So literally all you have to do is click on that "Click here" if you want to unsubscribe. Like magic. So simple. Much simpler than forwarding 14 emails to us at 7:23 am. Trust me.

On a personal note, I love this blog. I’ve been doing it for such a long time and it’s become something I think about and work on every single day, even when I have a day “off” from, well, life. But part of what makes it so wonderful is all of you. If I were to wake up to 14 angry emails every day, I would not want to be part of this. So please, whether here or anywhere, try to remember that you are emailing a human being. We would never want to “make” someone receive an email they don’t want. DUH.

I wouldn't let one off the rails person derail me from continuing doing something I love, don't worry, but I want to do my best to keep our inbox filled with cupcake news and photos and goodness, not ridiculousness.

I know that for probably 99% of you you don't need to hear this, so my apologies and feel free to skip right to the cupcakes. But I had to say something because I find it horrific that someone would think that was acceptable. This blog is my place of happiness and cupcakes and community. Maybe it just caught me off guard because I saw it immediately after I woke up. But now if anyone has a Feedblitz issue I will just direct them to this post!

So to bring this back around to some cupcake cheerfulness, here are some smiley face chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing by Rebecca's Cakes in North London (UK) via Flickr:

Smiley Cupcakes

Comments