Mama's Food Shop, cupcakes revisited

The cupcakes I reviewed at Mama's Food Shop last week were so great, they deserved a revisit. I dropped by during the week for my standard weekly dinner of a three-sides veggie plate (mac-n-cheese, collard greens w/garlic, and either green beans with sesame seeds or a spring salad with dressing) when co-owner Jeremiah mentioned that his wife Carla had just baked two new flavors of cupcakes. *perk* Two new flavors? By pastry chef Carla Perez de Clancy? Um, sure! I'd be delighted to take those two cupcakes off your hands...only I'd have to take them to go. I was a bit worried the cupcakes wouldn't survive the journey to my fifth-floor walkup, but they did.




Mama's Food Shop


Creative last-minute cupcakes-to-go system, upside-down veggie containers.






Mama's Food Shop


The flavors were chocolate cake with a rich caramel frosting and a blueberry-vanilla cake with orange caramel.



I knew I'd love Carla's chocolate cake, and caramel is a long-standing favorite of mine, but I was worried about the orange-flavored caramel. I am not a fan of orange-flavored anything. I shouldn't have worried, as Carla managed to make the flavors meld together into a delicious marriage.





Mama's Food Shop



The blueberry cake was good, but I would have liked a more blueberry flavor to stand up to the rich and sinful caramel frosting. I though the blueberries got a touch lost in the flavor profile, but it was a yummy dessert and I would definitely order it again. A perfect summer picnic cupcake, or something to go with a glass of iced coffee or tea.




The serious winner was, once again, her chocolate cupcake.


Mama's Food Shop



The caramel was just beautiful against the chocolate. Its burnt-sugar taste was a perfect choice for the moist and light yet deeply cocoa-y chocolate. I might have even (if left to my own devices) sprinkled a touch of fleur de sel on top. That's a bit outside of what Mama's patrons would enjoy, I think, but damn would it have been fine. Even without the interplay of salty and sweet it was a killer cupcake.



All cupcakes between $2 and $3.50, flavors change according to the chef's mood and what's fresh and in season.

Mama's Food Shop
200 East 3rd Street
NYC 10009
212.777.4425

Catering available.



See the entire set here; all images by Stacie Joy for Cupcakes Take the Cake.



Note: Due to Blogger's capriciousness, I am unable to add tags to this post. Grr!


Comments