4 frosting shots at Butter Lane

Saturday I stopped by the East Village's Butter Lane, which was closed for three days last week, and is one of the cupcake bakeries The Wall Street Journal says is saving New York CIty's economy by hiring people. I wasn't in the mood for a full cupcake since it was so hot, so decided to try 4 frosting shots at $1 each (much cheaper too!). I tried key lime, banana walnut, cherry and peach.

Butter Lane frosting shots

I wasn't sure at first what the green things in the key lime were, til I realized they were lime rind. Each of their frosting flavors are very unique and strong, which is one of the reasons I like them so much. These are all very rich and I will say that I could only manage to taste each one; eating all 4 full frosting shots would've been a bit crazy, I think. Banana is a tricky flavor to do in frosting form, and I think I much prefer their banana cake, which is moist and delicious, than the banana overload. Ultimately, I think it really depends how much you like the flavors. I was trying ones that I hadn't had too often, whereas something like their peanut butter frosting I'm sure I'd devour.

I do like that they offer frosting shots; they're $1, vs. $3 for a cupcake, and if you really are just a frosting fiend, these are perfect. I love cupcakes, but sometimes I don't have room for a full cupcake, or even half of one, so then a frosting shot is perfect, and even when I only take a few mouthfuls, such as in this case, the price is right.

Comments