Chocolate whipped cream cupcakes with fun dark chocolate garnishes

These very beautiful chocolate cupcakes are made by Karen of the blog Cooking with Karen. The one with the K is obviously for her initial, and there are a lot more to check out, along with recipes, over at her blog. Officially, they're Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting with Mini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes & Dark Chocolate Garnishes. Unofficially, I think they are works of art and almost belong in the "too pretty to eat" category.

She writes:

This was my first time making chocolate whipped cream and it was a huge success. I love my other chocolate frosting recipes, but when I made these cupcakes I was in the mood for something a little lighter than standard chocolate frosting, which is often very rich. Whipped cream is such a perfect pairing for cakes and cupcakes, but I was craving chocolate, so I pulled out several of my baking cookbooks in search of a recipe for chocolate whipped cream. The first ones I checked had nothing (Baking Illustrated & The Williams Sonoma Baking Book). I found a recipe in the third one (Baking From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan), however it required 4 hours of chilling in the fridge, and I didn’t have that much time (I made these cupcakes on a whim). Finally, I found a recipe that I could use, that would be ready in the time it took to whip the cream- perfect! It’s so easy to make this whipped cream, and such a fun change from regular whipped cream, although it has the same fluffy airy texture. It reminded me a lot of chocolate mousse (yum!) and it also tasted like hot chocolate to me. (That’s probably because I used the same Ghirardelli chocolate powder that I use when I make hot chocolate). Eric and I loved this frosting. He raved about it, and was sad that I washed the mixer bowl before he got a chance to lick it clean (sorry babe!).







See more photos and get the chocolate cupcake recipe at Cooking with Karen.

Comments