Cupcake interview: Jace Robinson, Lick It Bite It Or Both, Austin, Texas

Today's cupcake bakery owner interview is with Jace Robinson of Austin, Texas' Lick It Bite It Or Both, which serves cupcakes and ice cream. I got to visit and see the lovely shop while I was in town and taste his delicious ice cream (chocolate with chili powder rocks!) and cupcakes. Jace was kind enough to treat me and my friend to cupcakes, ice cream and a blue vanilla shake.

The setup is pretty simple, and I have to say, on a blazingly hot summer day, ice cream has an appeal that even cupcakes (gasp) don't. But combining them, whether physically, by dipping your spoon into your ice cream, then your cupcake (I didn't do it during my visit but have before) or eating one bite of one, then one bite of the other, or just one followed by the other is a cool idea. I'll give my review in a separate post.


photo courtesy of Jace Robinson; other photos by Rachel Kramer Bussel via this Flickr set



Jace Robinson, Owner
Lick It Bite It Or Both, Austin, Texas

What made you decide to open an ice cream and cupcake store?

There are so few professions today that can give you instant gratification. Handing somebody that makes them smile everyday, is total instant gratification for me!

Why did you choose the specific location you’re in in Austin?

Honestly, price per square foot was less expensive than downtown and this being our first location, we wanted to make sure people actually liked what we served before committing to a lease that was more per month... Thank goodness they DO! Next stop, DOWNTOWN!

Where do you get the inspiration for your recipes? What sets your cupcakes apart?

My YaiYai (grandmother) had six kids and all of them had different opinions on what tasted good. She perfected the recipes we use to please the masses. Between her and my mom's recipes, our from scratch batters really hit home with folks. Also, we use the absolute BEST products on the market for our treats. The same stuff you see in our kitchen can be found in many 5 star restaurants around the world. We take pride in our ingredients because no matter how great the recipe is, if you are using cheap stuff it will never taste just right.

Lick It Bite It Or Both cupcakes, Austin, Texas

Are the cupcakes or ice cream the most popular? Which flavors are the best sellers?

The cupcakes, if you will pardon the pun, Take The Cake. We sell 50% cupcakes, 25% Ice Cream and 25% Both! Most people dining in have a Both, but cupcakes travel easier than Ice Cream so bulk orders are mostly always cupcakes. The Both winner combos are Cake Batter and Red Velvet, Mint and Chocolate Chocolate and Coconut with Strawberry.

What are some of the ways you see people combining cupcakes and ice cream?

99% of the folks LOVE the Cupcake on top, turned upside down so the frosting seperates the cake from the cream and doesn't get all soggy. Our unique, one of a kind twist on cake and ice cream.

Chocolate ice cream with chili powder, Lick It Bite It Or Both, Austin, Texas
chocolate ice cream with chili powder

You offer monthly special flavors as well as seasonal ones. Can you give us a sneak peek as to what’s coming up?

Hmmmm, well we are dead set on a White Chocolate Raspberry. Bavarian cream filled with Chocolate Ganache Top also sounds amazing. We cannot wait for Thanksgiving because we are working on a Sweet Potato Cupcake with Marshmallow Frosting Topped with Corn Flakes and Brown Sugar! Yu-Hum!

What are your favorite and least favorite parts of running Lick It Bite It Or Both?

Again, my favorite part is the instant gratification I get from all of our devoted clients. Least favorite... hmmmm... I guess I can admit that it truly hurts my feelings when somebody gives us a bad review or doesn't like what we do. If they only knew how much time and effort went into our little shop, I know they would feel badly for trash-talking us. I can understand somebody not liking us or preferring a different dessert to ours because that is just the way the world works, but to flatout say we are bad is devastating to me. That is my least favorite part...seeing firsthand how cruel and mindless people can be with their comments. I am hoping my skin gets a bit thicker as time goes on.

And now for some personal questions…

How often do you eat cupcakes?

Every day! Before opening Lick It Bite It Or Both, it was by choice. Now, I personal test every batch that we bake to ensure quality. (I have to admit, it isn't as much fun when you HAVE to do it... Thank goodness our cupcakes are awesome! It makes it a little easier)

What's the best thing about eating cupcakes?

Flashbacks! Every time I have a cupcake, I remember all the great times in my life where cupcakes were present.

What's your favorite type of cupcake?

Chocolate, hands down.

photo.jpg

How do cupcakes compare/contrast to other baked goods for you?

I am NOT a pie person and I very rarely eat cookies. I guess that's why I own a cupcake shop!

Is there any innovation you'd like to see made to the cupcake that would improve it for you?

We already added it... ICE CREAM! Nothing compliments cake better than ice cream. It has been around for decades and has always been a classic. We did not re-invent the wheel by adding ice cream to cupcakes but we did make the ride a little sweeter!

Do you bake your own cupcakes? Or (even better) have someone who bakes them for you?

I am not a great baker. The mixing of ingredients I enjoy, but the actual baking them for 20 minutes is bring to me. Maybe it is ADD, I don't know. I like to be busy with my hands. The only kind of eggs I make are scramble. So, while I mix the batches sometimes, all the baking is left to my trusted chef. She knows what she is doing.

What's your first cupcake-related memory?

Cupcakes have always been symbolic with gatherings and fun for me. Birthdays... Holidays... Weddings... Almost all the big events in my life has been marked with cupcakes in some way, shape or form.

What's the most fun you've ever had with a cupcake?

I like decorating them up like celebrities and acting out famous scenes from movies... My Titanic "KING OF THE WORLD" tribute was pretty fantastic!

Do you have anything else to add?

I think that covers it! Thanks again for visiting us and we hope you had a 'sweet' trip to Austin. Come back and visit anytime! ALL THE BEST!

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg
blue vanilla milkshake

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Comments