Blooming Orange Cupcakes

I'm happy to be here on Cupcakes take the Cake today.

I'm Diane
from

I'm often up to my elbows in flower and sugar,
I love to create delicious treats and share my recipes.

I've baked for you some
Blooming Orange Cupcakes
I wish you could smell them,
 they smell like 
fresh oranges.




I received orange roses from a friend and couldn't wait to make some cupcakes and use them for inspiration.


I loved how they were a great combination of orange and yellow.


Orange cupcake recipe
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking  powder
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tsp orange extract
2 drops Americolor #113 orange food coloring

Beat the butter until pale, then add the sugar. Add one egg at a time, blend until all incorporated. Then add in flour baking powder and salt, followed by orange juice and extract. Once it's all blended fill lined cupcake pan with batter 2/3 full. 
Having you butter are room temperature helps it to beat smooth, and eggs at room temperature prevent the cake from becoming too dry. (you can easily place the eggs in their shell in warm water for 2 minutes or take them out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes)
Bake at 350 for 18 minutes.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.


Orange Frosting
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
 Yes, sifting makes a difference, It insures smoother frosting.
2 T. orange juice
1tsp. orange extract
Beat butter, shortening until smooth, then add in sifted powdered sugar along with orange juice and extract.



I separated the frosting into two bowls 
I mixed then with Americolor food coloring
for the orange color I used: 2 drops #113 orange with 2 drops #106 egg yellow 
for the yellow I used 2 drops #106 egg yellow. 
I placed them side by side in a piping bag fitted with my favorite 2D piping tip.


To create a rose, begin in the center of the cupcake.
Begin piping the frosting keep work in a circular motion around the center, 
you will then have a frosted rose.


The flavor of these cupcakes remind me of 
a frozen creamsicle and the orange-cream custard on the boardwalk.

Thanks so much
 Rachel, Nichelle, and Stacie.
I'm honored to be here today.

Comments