Don't forget to enter our contest to win a copy of Booze Cakes: Confections Spiked with Spirits, Wine, and Beer - the deadline is Monday! Also check out our interview with co-author Terry Lee Stone.
Fuzzy Navel cupcakes from the cookbook Booze Cakes by Krystina Castella and Terry Lee Stone
OUR FUZZY NAVEL CUPCAKES are based on the highly popular cocktail invented during the Reagan era—also known as the Michael Jackson, Madonna, and (the original) Rick Astley years. The drink’s provocative name and sweet candy taste sped its rise in popularity among young clubbers. Its catchy name is actually quite innocent: “Fuzzy” refers to the Georgia peach, and “navel” refers to the Florida orange. However, the Fuzzy Navel’s cocktail cousin Sex on the Beach (made with vodka and cranberry) is far from innocent—except when you see it on a family-restaurant menu as “Fun on the Beach.”
Fuzzy Navel Cake
1⁄2 cup orange juice
1⁄2 cup peach schnapps
2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 ripe peaches, diced
Fuzzy Navel Sauce
1⁄2 cup peach preserves
1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
1⁄4 cup orange juice
1⁄4 cup peach schnapps
6 ripe peaches, halved
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup cupcake pan.
2. For the cupcakes: Combine orange juice and peach schnapps and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add flour and juice mixtures to the batter in three alternating additions. When fully combined, beat for 1 minute. Gently stir in the peaches by hand. Spoon batter into the pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. For the sauce: In a saucepan, combine peach preserves, marmalade, and orange juice, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture has thinned (about 5 minutes), remove from heat and stir in the peach schnapps.
5. For the roasted peaches: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and put the peaches on top. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Roast 25 to 35 minutes or until the sugar begins to bubble. Let cool, then remove and discard pits, and dice or slice peaches.
6. Place cupcakes on individual serving plates. Top with roasted peaches and drizzle with sauce.