Pills on a cupcake on memoir cover: Chocolate & Vicodin by Jennette Fulda

My friend Jennette Fulda has a memoir coming out in February and even though the title is Chocolate and Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away, there's a cupcake on the cover! It's available for pre-order on Amazon. Check it out:



She writes on her blog Pasta Queen:

Please, resist the urge to lick your screen. I hear computers are dirtier than public restrooms because people rarely clean their monitors. I would hate for you to catch an infection because my book cover looked so delectable. Mmmmm, cupcake. Chocolate cupcake. With pills!

I first saw the cover concept for Chocolate & Vicodin at the end of March 2010, long before the final text of the book was completed, which is sort of odd and slightly scary since it’s like taking your wedding photos before you’ve met your groom. However, the cover is needed for placement in the sales catalog the publisher puts together each season to pitch their books to booksellers. Thus, it’s usually created before the book is complete to give booksellers enough lead time to place their orders.

I immediately loved the cover because, really, what formerly morbidly obese woman doesn’t love cupcakes? It’s also a great excuse to serve chocolate frosted cupcakes at any book events. I feel very fortunate that I’ve loved the initial cover concepts for both of my books. Sometimes authors and marketing departments have differing visions of what the cover should look like, but I’ve been lucky to avoid that type of battle so far. I hope you guys love it as much as I do!

Comments