We are giving away a copy of Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook (4th ed., hardcover/binder, published by Wiley), which features cupcake recipes like the Mahogany Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, photo and recipe below, among the 500+ recipes included.
Mahogany Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
11/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
11/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (81/4-ounce) can whole beets, drained and pureed in blender
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 (8-ounce) package cold fat-free cream cheese
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. To make cake, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk together beet puree, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vinegar in another medium bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until flour mixture is moistened (do not overmix). Pour batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full.
3. Bake until cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, to make frosting, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar in medium bowl until smooth. Beat in lemon zest.
5. Remove cupcakes from muffin pan. With narrow metal spatula, spread about 1 tablespoon frosting over each cupcake.
Per serving (1 cupcake): 97 grams, 234 Cal, 6 g Total Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 37 mg Chol, 355 mg Sod, 40 g Total Carb, 27 g Total Sugar, 1 g Fib, 6 g Prot, 57 mg Calc.
PointsPlus value: 6
Traditionally, red velvet cupcakes—or cakes—get their deep red color from a hefty amount of red food color. Our cupcakes get their deep, dark color from beets, which contribute rich color and some vegetable goodness instead of artificial ingredients.
I love that the recipe doesn't use red dye food coloring. Nice. Anyway, this giveaway is open to residents of the United States and Canada only. You can enter by leaving your email address in the comment section below on or before Wednesday, May 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm ET. We'll choose a winner at random and contact you by email.