"Practice Random Acts of Cupcakes" - The Very Cool Cupcake Box at Cupcake Royale in Seattle

I've walked all over Seattle today, from downtown to Capitol Hill to Queen Anne and again later from downtown to Capitol Hill. I think Cakespy Shop deserves its own post but since I'm sitting at Cupcake Royale right now taking a break, listening to the likes of The Beatles, Ray Charles, The Cranberries, Radiohead, Elliott Smith, Paul Simon and other music and enjoying the free wifi and warmth, I figured I'd post about them. Last year when I was here I'd been eating so many cupcakes all day that I didn't have time to do justice to a proper tasting. They also have a great t-shirt and gift selection and are pretty full on a Saturday evening. If I lived in Seattle, I'd definitely hang out here and work. It's a chill atmosphere and there's enough space between tables that you're not piled up on other customers.

Their cupcakes cost $3.50 for full-size, $1.75 for mini (called babycakes), and are $33 for a dozen. Or 6 cupcakes for $9 during cupcake happy hour (tonight, Saturday, that sign went up at 9 pm, I believe).

You can see all my photos from this visit in this Flickr set and visit cupcakeroyale.com for all their locations and contact information, and follow them @CupcakeRoyale on Twitter and Facebook.

Before I tell you about their cupcakes, let me tell and show you about their takeout boxes, which should win some kind of design award. I almost didn't get one because I was eating them here, but I wound up needing it to take home the two I couldn't finish, and I'm so glad I did because look at how fun it is! Except the random acts section of their site doesn't seem to be up any more. Still, I love the idea of "Practice Random Acts of Cupcakes." I plan to by taking some back to two friends who are also visiting Seattle from New York; trust me, asking someone their favorite cupcake flavor and then bringing them one is sure to make them happy.






click on photo to see larger size on Flickr









Today I bought four regular size cupcakes and one mini. The flavor of the month is coconut lime, done in an interesting way: the cake is coconut, the frosting is lime. It's a pretty tart lime, powerful but not overpowering. The cake was a bit crumbly and definitely had coconut in it; tasted kindof like angel food cake in taste, but denser. The mini vanilla/vanilla cupcake was a classic rich sweet buttercream. I liked their chocolate mint Peppermint Patty cupcake a lot; the chocolate cake is rich, moist and tastes like chocolate - I cannot tell you how many chocolate cupcakes I've eaten that even when they are moist just taste bland. This one is probably the best frosting/cake combination of the ones I've tried, meaning each brings out the strengths of the other. The mint is lively and refreshing and pops; while it doesn't taste exactly like an Andes mint, the mix of mint and chocolate together that those who are fans of that candy enjoy is here.



Far and away, the salted caramel was my favorite. I nibbled all around the outside of it, scraped off the salt on the top, and just overall loved how salty it was. I'm a salt fan, and especially against the sweetness of the vanilla buttercream frosting, it's just divine. And addictive. The chocolate sprinkles on the edges add for a nice visual touch and a tiny bit of texture, as well as more of the salty/sweet combination.

Other photos:







Comments