Sprinkles Cupcakes in NYC

I'm not going to spend this whole post complaining about blogger, but grrr! I worked so hard on my Sprinkles Cupcakes post and Blogspot ate it during two maintenance sessions, one after the other, as if it were a cheap donut. Not even burping up a bit of my hard work. I am disgusted by this and have decided not to rewrite it for the third time so I will just present the pictures with minimal comment.




Sprinkles


Wednesday's flavors.






Groovy new storefront:

Sprinkles


At 780 Lexington in NYC.






Sprinkles


So many choices!







Mixes:

Sprinkles


Stay tuned for a "Stacie's Test Kitchen" post (lemon or spice, not sure yet) soon.







Flavor star walk of fame:


Sprinkles






Everyone I met at Sprinkles was delightful, helpful, friendly and just lovely. (I suspect, sorry to say this, that they are not NY'ers.)




Sprinkles




Sprinkles





Sprinkles





Sprinkles





But here we come to the bad part. Sprinkles cupcakes are made with gelatin (an animal product made of hooves, bones and skin as well other inedible animal parts), so as a vegetarian I was unable to eat them. I wish Sprinkles would alert people to this fact. I didn't see it posted anywhere on its Website or at the counter or on any literature. I'm disappointed, as Sprinkles obviously knows, since it offers a vegan version of red velvet (and a gluten-free one).

I am on the fence about this. People, what do YOU think? Should Sprinkles publish the fact that its iconic "dots" are gelatin-based products? For me, it's an animal-rights issue. So I won't die or be damned if I accidentally eat some. But what about people who have religious issues about animal product? Or people with allergies? Help me out folks, tell me how YOU stand on this issue.


As a vegetarian I know enough to avoid anything marshmallow-related, as s'more cupcakes are usually made with gelatin. But who'dathunkit? The "dots!"


Oh, and curious as to how I found out the cupcakes are made with gelatin? It's on the cupcake kit ingredients on the back of the box.







Comments

Porche said…
Is it just the 'dots' or do the cake and frosting have gelatin in them as well? If it is in the cake/frosting, I'm really curious as to the reason why.

As far as I know, commercially prepared fondant all has gelatin in it. I've tried making some with agar agar and it didn't work too well. I do think it can as there are vegan marshmallows available, I just couldn't crack the secret.
WatchTheGap said…
Thank you for posting the gelatin alert! I would have assumed the dots were royal icing or something similar. They absolutely should make the ingredients clear. I just noticed yesterday that some conversation hearts I had lying around had gelatin, too - more candies than you would think are made this way.
Rosie said…
Hi Stacy! So sorry ate your post twice (damn you, cheap donuts!). Loved the post/review as I was eager to hear more about Sprinkles. I must admit I am a cupcake snob and I don't like any of the big name cupcakes out there (magnolia, crumbs), Sprinkles is the one I've been missing. Will have to go check them out.

Re: the gelatin, as an omnivore who eats mostly anything in an animal; I am actually upset they did not post the ingredient of their "dot". I believe that is irresponsible in these times of so many people with allergies. I'm glad you posted this as I have a friend who is allergic to gelatin (crazy I know) but they do exist. And from a moral and religious stand-point they should also list it. Or can they just offer some cupcakes without the dot. Is the dot the only thing with gelatin?

Thanks again. And can't wait for your review of the mixes. Make the lemon one. It's very summery IMHO.