Stacie's Test Kitchen Bakes Sprinkles Lemon Cupcakes Mix

Although I do not accept Sprinkles' claim that their ingredient listed as gelatin is actually carrageenan (so very different!), I made a Sprinkles at-home lemon cupcake kit without the iconic dots. The dots are where the animal-based gelatin is located. (As a vegetarian, I can't eat animal-based products.)




Sprinkles




The directions were fairly straightforward (and so loaded with butter I knew the finished product would be rich and delicious). Sprinkles recommends baking longer than I normally would, and mentions that there will be ahem, shrinkage as the cupcakes cool.




Sprinkles Lemon Cupcake Mix




There was a bit of shrinkage but not too bad. I was worried the baking cups would pull away but they held up just fine.





Sprinkles Lemon Cupcake Mix




I found the cake to be very dense and heavy, almost like a pound cake and not as lemony as I'd hoped, but the frosting was exceedingly and perfectly lemony and refreshing. Combined they provided the lemon kick I'd been hoping for.




Sprinkles Lemon Cupcake Mix




In no way could I make the frosting look properly Sprinkles-like, so I didn't even try. Also, my frosting was a bit too chilled for proper frosting. I'd made a double batch to handle the 24 cupcakes I made (two boxed mixes).




Sprinkles Lemon Cupcake Mix



I topped the cupcakes with tiny edible (and gelatin-free) silver stars I bought at the Wilton tent sale.









Comments

Wende Kirckhoff said…
vegetarian..or not..i think gelatin is the most disgusting thing..you can get substitutes for it...THANK GOODNESS....i think yours are lookin pretty...