Cupcake blog dedication: I ate a real grasshopper on and inside a cupcake!

Barb's Bakery of Phoenix, Arizona, was not to be outdone in the "I can't believe I'm eating this" unofficial cupcake category today at Scottsdale, Arizona's Cupcake Love-In, serving up a chipotle grasshopper cupcake. Not "grasshopper," like the chocolate mint flavor, but grasshopper, like the bug. I was challenged as a judge to eat it, along with the four other judges, and we all did so at the same time. I closed my eyes, expecting it to be crunchy and chocolatey. It was indeed crunchy, but salty, and didn't all go down in one bite. I didn't know what flavor cupcake I was eating, so I took a fingerful of frosting, and it turned out to be spicy, so I bit into the cupcake, and it was crunchy! More grasshopper! It was intense. I heard their other cupcakes were alcohol-inspired, including cosmo, but I didn't get a chance to try those. Kudos to Barb's Bakery for going there and forcing us to try something new. I don't think I'd eat grasshopper again, but I'm glad I tried it, and the chipotle had an unexpected kick to it.


that's a grasshopper on top!



yes, those little flecks in the cake are grasshopper.

Comments